The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
I'm tired, but don't we need at least two people for an illegal shift?

Illegal Motion - 7-2-7-Penalty, verbatim.
REPLY: Hawkeye...in NCAA yes, but in Federation rules, movement by one or more to new set positions constitutes a shift.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 11:15am
(Something hilarious)

Guys -

I could see where case play 7.2.7(b) would support an illegal shift call here, but 7-2-7 actually describes this exact situation:

Quote:
Only one A player may be in motion at the snap and then only if such motion is not toward his opponent's goal line. Except for the player "under the snapper," as outlined in Article 3, the player in motion shall be at least 5 yards behind his line of scrimmage at the snap if he started from any position not clearly behind the line and did not establish himself as a back by stopping for at least one full second while no part of his body is breaking the vertical plane through the waistline of his nearest teammate who is on the line of scrimmage.

Penalty: Illegal Motion (Art. 7) - (S20)
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
Guys -

I could see where case play 7.2.7(b) would support an illegal shift call here, but 7-2-7 actually describes this exact situation:
REPLY: Except that in the original play, the player is no longer moving--he has stopped, but was stopped for less than the required one second. It can no longer be illegal motion in that case since he's not moving. The rule you quote presumes that the player in question is still moving.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 04:34pm
(Something hilarious)

I see what you're saying, Bob. And I know we're splitting hairs at this point, but I still think, technically, that that sentence doesn't necessarilly presume that the player has not stopped moving - it technically reads that the player either 1) hasn't stopped moving, or 2) has stopped, but for less than one full second. If it presumed what you say, it would simply read, "and has not established himself as a back by stopping."

I'm sure everyone is taking some valuable knowledge and insight away from this thread, at this point.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

I think you may be misunderstanding NF:7.2.7. what is says is that a player (to be legally in motion) has to be at least 5 yards behind the LOS at the snap (only when) if he started from any position not clearly behind the line and did not (thereafter) establish himself as a back by stopping for at least one full second..."

If the ball were to be snapped before he was able to reset, establishing himself as a back, his attempted shift is illegal. If he were to be in motion having previously failed to satisfy the requirement of re-setting for a full second, (since he started out from a position not clearly behind the line) then he is illegally in motion.