The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

I'm afraid only you can, "keep coaches out of my head as much as possible" but it's a lot easier if you don't let them in, in the first place. If you think moving your flag to where nobody can it will somehow stop ignorant (sorry, but ignorant is the kindest word I can think of for a coach yelling, ""You saw that hold. I know you did! You were going to flag it! Why didn't you flag it?! I know you saw it?!") people from expressing their ignorance, then move it.

We've discussed the value of ignoring ignorant comments as much as possible many times before. As for when they might reach "blistering", a different remedy may be appropriate, and if handled properly, may serve to avoid and prevent further instances of blistering. That's a different, well worn topic.

As for controlling what ESPN, or any other TV or radio analyst might think or choose to say, that's way beyond the reach of our headlights. I don't recall any mention of where the flag came from in the Miami-Ohio State game a few years ago, when an ocean of fools who had little idea what they were talking about, "blistered" a solid official unmercifully.

The only problem "reaching" might cause is created totally in the mind of an observer who is totally ignorant of the decision process underway. Why do you seem so concerned about what that person might think? When that ignorance goes so far to generate some stupid comment, why do you feel so threatened?

The bottom line is, it's important what we do with flags not where we keep them, wrap them or hide them.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 12:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is not about yelling. I personally do not care if they yell. But just like anything I would like to limit overall scrutiny by anyone watching and I would like for the video to not show something clear where I reached for a flag and changed my mind. I would rather explain a call after the fact without giving them visual evidence. And reaching behind your back is very different than putting your hands near the front of your body where they almost always are.

It just looks really bad and in this part of the country it is widely discouraged to put your flag in your back pocket or in your belt behind your back. To me it looks very silly.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Don't have an argument with any of your concerns, but I think this is largely a matter of personal preference about two methods that are simply different.

I don't think either method rises so far above the other, to render the other method as "silly", and in the grand scheme of things where flags are kept doesn't really matter all that much. If there is a consensus, or preference, in your area then by all means joining the consensus makes perfect sense.

It seems sometimes, the beneficial objective of "consistency" is allowed to seep far beyond what it was ever intended to achieve.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 01:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
A coach can see you reach whether your ball is white or yellow. And I couldn't possibly care if he does. I'd just say "I changed my mind." What's the coach going to do, tell me I can't change my mind?
Regardless of the tip of the flag: If you reach, they will notice. You're reaching for a flag and pulling your hand away.

The key is to have better timing and not reach for the damned thing in the first place. It's just like an IW, which my crew hasn't had happen in 3 full seasons, now. Train yourself to have a slow whistle or slow hands and the problems don't happen.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 01:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
This is not about yelling. I personally do not care if they yell. But just like anything I would like to limit overall scrutiny by anyone watching and I would like for the video to not show something clear where I reached for a flag and changed my mind. I would rather explain a call after the fact without giving them visual evidence. And reaching behind your back is very different than putting your hands near the front of your body where they almost always are.

It just looks really bad and in this part of the country it is widely discouraged to put your flag in your back pocket or in your belt behind your back. To me it looks very silly.

Peace
It always surprised me that Bernie Kukar had his flag sticking out his back pocket his entire career. I do put my second flag in my back pocket, but it comes out about once a century (on average).
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 01:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc
Don't have an argument with any of your concerns, but I think this is largely a matter of personal preference about two methods that are simply different.
It is not just a matter of personal preference. You do not see officials where I live even putting a flag other than their belt. If they do, they are quickly told to do otherwise. And I belong to an association with many Big Ten officials, and it is clear they are not given that "personal preference" to put a flag in their back pocket. And they tell you about it when we review tape of officials from the SEC or ACC that tend to put flags in their back pocket. Just like they make comments about how the SEC at least used to be on the field at the wing positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc
I don't think either method rises so far above the other, to render the other method as "silly", and in the grand scheme of things where flags are kept doesn't really matter all that much. If there is a consensus, or preference, in your area then by all means joining the consensus makes perfect sense.

It seems sometimes, the beneficial objective of "consistency" is allowed to seep far beyond what it was ever intended to achieve.
I would disagree with that, but that is my opinion. If that is acceptable where you live, you have to do what gets you buy. But if you moved to other places, you might not have a choice or you will get marked down for using that flag mechanic. This is a little more than what I personally what I want to do. I feel this is the right way because I have seen both ways and the good and bad of both.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
And personally I do not go around telling those to do it any other way or the way I do it. Life is too short to worry about such a minor thing.

Peace
Yep, I can see that.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

I'm afraid we've absolutely beaten this horse to death. I think it's great that all the officials in your area, including those in the Big-10, have agreed on where to store your flags and I'm not surprised that you have chosen to "go with the flow", or believe your way is the "right way". Few sane people do things they believe is the "wrong way" deliberately.

I have worked in 3 States and 4 Associations, in which many officials agree with your concerns, and still others keep their flags in their back pockets. Other than simple banter, the issue has never been a problem. There have been no edicts, no declarations, no penalties imposed and no discernable degradation of the quality of officiating related to where flags are stored.

If asked by a supervisor to change where I kept my flags, I likely would because it's just not that important, but I would probably think less of the supervisor for being so petty and intrusive.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 02:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Whether you like it or not or I like it or not, supervisors, assignors and associations can be the gate keepers of our officiating opportunities. I did not just go with the flow just to do so. I was told what to do and if I wanted to continue working the things I like working, I had to do it or not work. And yes things like flags, mechanics and emphasis on certain rules and application of certain rules are all things you can be told how work or you do not work. This is one of those things that might not make or break you, but if you are evaluated with another person who is doing everything right and you are deciding to use a personal preference, then they might not pick you. I also do not expect you to change and it really matters little to me if you agree. We are just talking here and life will go on no matter what you do. But I do feel that putting a flag in your back pocket does not look as professional and also can be a problem when going through the process of calling and not calling a foul.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

I don't care if it's in the front or back, I just think it looks sloppy to see it hanging out of a pocket.

And being in the pocket is not going to make any difference with coaches. If they see my hand reach, they see my hand reach. I do not officiate according to what I anticipate coaches are going to say. I am a stronger official than that.

I used to keep it DEEP in my back pocket. (Now I have the ball in the front and a second flag in my front pocket out of sight.) "Coach, see where I keep my flag? That means when I take it out, I really mean it!" I used to love using that line.

As far as local associations go, our association has agreed to look sharp out there.