The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Question

This may be a dumb question, but...

I was rewatching the packers/atlanta football game and it looked like only two or three referees were carrying flags.

Do all of the NFL referees carry flags?

Do any of the NFL referees ever call a penalty w/o using a flag?

Also, some of the referees had what looked like black fanny packs on. What are in those bags?
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by burch512

I was rewatching the packers/atlanta football game and it looked like only two or three referees were carrying flags.

Also, some of the referees had what looked like black fanny packs on. What are in those bags?
All the officials carry flags. Some of them just tuck them completely out of sight in their pants or stuff them clompletely in their back pockets.

The only time an official in the NFL (from what I can tell) will have to throw something OTHER than a flag is if he has called two fouls on the play.

Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Fanny packs keep their hands warm.

Those fanny packs are used to tuck their hands in to stay warm in between plays. Did you ever try to play catch during cold weather? Its easier to handle the ball in between plays when your hands are warm. But of course, here in Hawaii we don't have that problem...
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

They also sometimes wrap the ball of the flag with white athletic tape so it blends in with the shirt.

The NFL wants everyone to put the flags in the front of the pants, but some guys still carry them intheir pockets (John Grier). Dale Hamer also used the pockets but I think it had to do with his gut.

If you use those nylon, parachute material flags and you put them in the front of your pants, they have a tendency to slide all the way down your leg. I speak from experience.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Quote:
Originally posted by burch512

All the officials carry flags. Some of them just tuck them completely out of sight in their pants or stuff them clompletely in their back pockets.

The only time an official in the NFL (from what I can tell) will have to throw something OTHER than a flag is if he has called two fouls on the play.

Not true. A bean bag is used to mark the spot of a fumble, and where a kick is touched. A hat is thrown to mark the spot where a player stepped out of bounds without being touched.

Bob
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

I saw Ed Hochuli throw his hat to indicate a foul either last week or the previous week.

He had tossed his 1st flag for a false start and the defender continued on and decked the QB. Ed tossed his hat in the air for a personal foul as he tried to protect the QB. Not sure if he didn't have another flag or what the deal was. Did anyone else see that?

Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

10-4. I saw it. I have done the same thing although I would be one of the first to say it is not required that ANYTHING be thrown to signify there is a foul. Especially in the NFL where they are miked and can easily explain all the fouls that may be on a play, even if there is only 1 flag laying on the ground.
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 07:07pm
Small Business Owner

Thumbs down I disagree TXMike!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMike
...I would be one of the first to say it is not required that ANYTHING be thrown to signify there is a foul. Especially in the NFL where they are miked and can easily explain all the fouls that may be on a play, even if there is only 1 flag laying on the ground.
Sorry Mike,
I agree with you on most of your posts but I feel the need to step in.
I think that if you see a foul and you intend on recognizing it and penalizing it then you throw a flag, second flag, Hat, or Beanbag. I don't believe we should ever want to get into the mode of just announcing fouls on the microphone and not throwing a flag. I would think this to be true even if it is the second foul by the same official as many fouls are enforced from the spot of the foul! Perhaps I misunderstood you! I hope that is the case.
Wings in a 4 or 5 man crew should always carry at least two flags as long as they are not exposed! (Sorry SEC)
No TXMIke, I think if we ever started not recognizing fouls until they are announced on the Microphone, we would be opening Pandora's box, and we don't wanna go there!

NFL officials only carry ONE FLAG (which occasionally gets them into a situation where they need to throw something else). That is there thing!

My 2 cents
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Disagree if you choose but why do CCA and apparently NFL mechanics only call for 1?

How many times are you going to have 2 fouls on the same play???

What happens when you have a fight and several players enter the field to participate? Each has fouled. Are you going to start throwing items of clothing after you run out of flags, bags and hats?
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 07:56pm
Small Business Owner

Perhaps I missuderstood you!

No, I would not! I guess was not thinking along the lines of bench clearing brawls during which you just stand back and write down numbers.
I was thinking more along the lines of the other extreme where the BJ doesn't throw his flag for defensive holding because he saw the LJ throw his. But as it turns out the LJ threw his for ineligible downfield. (Just an example)
It would be difficult for the White Hat to announce we have offsetting penalties with only one flag on the ground!

As an answer your question, in my opinion the only officials that really need two flags are the HL and LJ on a 4 or 5 man crew for obvious reasons. Other than that indeed two flags on one play is rare.

Question: What are the CCA mechanics for 4 and 5 man crews and specifically for the HL and LJ?
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

I am with you 110% on the incorrectness of the practice of not flagging becaus eyou think the other guy got it. That is definitely a SLIPPERY slope!!!

What mechanics of the HL and LJ are you asking about? In what part of the game?

Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 08:15pm
Small Business Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMike
I am with you 110% on the incorrectness of the practice of not flagging becaus eyou think the other guy got it. That is definitely a SLIPPERY slope!!!
Good, sounds like we are on the same page when it comes to throwing flags.

What mechanics of the HL and LJ are you asking about? In what part of the game?

I was just curious if the CCA mechanic says the HL and LJ should only carry one flag even on 4 and 5 man crews?

Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

The CCA mechanics do not differentiate between positions. This is the wording:

All officials shall be equipped with a light gold foul marker, 15" X 15" and weighed in the center with shot, sand or beans and worn INCONSPICUOUSLY. (I did not added the emphasis, that is the way it is written)
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 08:28pm
Small Business Owner

I agree 110% on 6 and 7 man crews that one flag is all that is necessary for all members.
However, on 4 and 5 man crews, I believe it is best if the HL and LJ carry two. One for the Illegal Formation at the snap, and the second for the BLATENT PI 40 yards down field.
When you throw the Bean Bag or Hat on a PI it just doesn't seem to sell the call!
That one play is my pet peeve but it seems to happen more regular than any other two foul plays...

My 2 cents
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to LittleGiantFan
Question

What is the thinking of only carrying 1 flag?? Is carrying 2 (that are inconspicuos) that big of a deal??