The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Carrying Multiple Flags

In Canada, it is against accepted mechanics to carry more than one flag. Recently, we had a situation where an official threw his flag for a hold and then had a bad late hit out of bounds. The players of the non-offending team for the late hit saw no flag thrown (since the official did not have one) and so ended up being called for Objectional Conduct (your USC).

While the players actions are no excused, the use of a second flag in this instance would have communicated that the late hit was penalized and so the further fouls would not have occurred.

So my question is what is the prevailing opinion on carrying more than one flag south of the border?
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

I think you will find that most carry two. However even if only one is carried then an act of throwing something, bean bag or hat, must be done to indicate that a second foul has occurred.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

It is a standard and accepted practice to carry two flags. It is the official's option on where to carry the flags--at least the places where I've officiated. It is HIGHLY recommended that you stuff the second flag DEEP in your pocket so you don't look like some flag-happy gunslinger.

In the past, before carrying two flags was common, I've seen officials toss a hat for the second foul. Tossing a hat is more demonstrative than a beanbag, especially if you have a BIG second foul to call (like a late hit, etc.).
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe our northern friends will change their mechanics thinking if more plays like that occur. I carry two. They are the white ball flags and I carry them on my sides and they cannot be seen at all, but are very easily accessable.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

I carry a white ball flag in my belt (right front) I keep a second flag tucked inside my back pocket. Almost never need it but it's nice to have if you do need it.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

I have seen some wear one flag tucked in just above the belt buckle. Curiously, they were all happy to see me.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 12:16am
Do not give a damn!!

As a Back Judge I cannot see not using more than one flag. For one it is not unusual in that position to throw a live ball flag and later a dead ball flag. I tend to carry two or three flags with me. I always have one in my belt and the other flags in my front pocket (not seen of course). When I was a Referee I would carry two flags, but almost never have to throw either one of them.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 02:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Maybe our northern friends will change their mechanics thinking if more plays like that occur. I carry two. They are the white ball flags and I carry them on my sides and they cannot be seen at all, but are very easily accessable.
It will be a cold day in hell before I put white tape on a flag. I'm a referee, there's no need to hide the fact I have and carry a flag.

That said, I do carry two flags - one in the belt and one buried deep in the back pocket. That back pocket one comes out about once every two years.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 07:47am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
It will be a cold day in hell before I put white tape on a flag. I'm a referee, there's no need to hide the fact I have and carry a flag.

That said, I do carry two flags - one in the belt and one buried deep in the back pocket. That back pocket one comes out about once every two years.
No white tape for me either and I can't see myself going that route. I, too, carry one in my belt and the other in my back pocket.

Your situation would certainly make sense for them to allow a second flag or clarify a secondary mechanic (i.e. hat, bean bag, etc) for another penalty.

Last edited by tjones1; Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 07:54am.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: One in my belt (no tape, however) and one buried in the back pocket.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

I carry two also - one in the belt and one deep in the pocket.

Although it's rarely needed, usually if you do need the second foul it is for something nasty - a late hit, facemask, or a shove, and a flag flying does a better job of stopping problems than a bean bag or hat being tossed. You want the players and coaches to know that you are penalizing the foul.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: One in my belt (no tape, however) and one buried in the back pocket.
Same here. I used to "double barrel" it with both up front on either side of my belt, but I moved the second to my back right pocket.

Something I started doing last year and I really like the way it looks and feels, I moved my second bean bag to the back of my belt, just right of center (I'm right handed obviously). I worked deep on Saturdays so I carried two. As for HS, I seldomly need one, or two for that matter, so I might start carrying one this season. Lighten up the load and make me quicker! HA!!
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

As long as we're talking about doubles, as a LJ I carry a second bean bag. I keep the main one in my belt so I can get to it quickly for fumbles, but on a kick off I take the other one out of my pocket and keep it in my hand for short kicks. If the kick booms away, I can easily slip it back into my pocket and continue working - it's easier for me than trying to get the main one re-tucked into my belt.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
Although it's rarely needed, usually if you do need the second foul it is for something nasty - a late hit, facemask, or a shove, and a flag flying does a better job of stopping problems than a bean bag or hat being tossed. You want the players and coaches to know that you are penalizing the foul.
You can have many times where it is not something nasty, but the flag will look better than the a hat or bag. A wing can easily have an illegal shift or illegal motion at the snap and then a for the second foul, a hold/DPI/OPI... in which the second flag comes in handy.

If you buy the "white ball" flag, you can put them both on the hip and no one will even see they are there. What I like about that is I don't have a ball flag for one flag and a centerweight flag for the one in your pocket. The flags are totally identical in type and color.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 11:06am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsrc
As for HS, I seldomly need one, or two for that matter, so I might start carrying one this season. Lighten up the load and make me quicker! HA!!
Grant, just consider it resistance training.

I, too, go with one flag in the belt and a flat one in my front pocket. I have one of the white ball flags from Honigs and I think it looks fine (it doesn't seem to weigh enough though). I think my future flag purchases will be straight yellow without tape as I do not like the look of the tape.