The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 07, 2008, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

NFL Stripes

I see the NFL has put a stripe on the knickers of the officials, the result of which is to bring more attention to them. If this continues they will look more like a Canadian ref or a slow-pitch softball player! Yuck!

I believe that "less is more" when it comes to looking professional.

I hope this doesn't trickle down to FED ball, although at our state rules meeting they said that we can wear a black hard-shell pant when it is cold. That is just garbage. That has the look of a flag football ref. I've reffed in 9 degrees F and never got cold when I dressed in layers with long Johns.

I see the officials losing credibility by making the uniform look cheap. As officials, I don't think we need to get jump into the latest fad.
Old Thu Aug 07, 2008, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Don't mince words. Tell us how you really feel, N.D.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Aug 07, 2008, 06:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

The change was not because of attention. The change was a result to have a uniform that could not be duplicated without their permission. For example the many beer commercials and other ads that essentially mocked the league's officials. It has nothing to do with professionalism for a league to choose what their officials should look like. The NFL has followed the NBA, FIBA and any other organization to not want to follow the traditional uniforms of all levels of sports officials. I might not personally like the entire look, but that is their right to change if they choose to. Just like the USFL used a different uniform (which involved shorts) the NFL can change too. If college wants to change their uniform that is their right to do so. I know if someone was going to pay me enough money to officiate those games, I would not care as long as I am on the field.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 07, 2008, 07:27pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The change was not because of attention. The change was a result to have a uniform that could not be duplicated without their permission. For example the many beer commercials and other ads that essentially mocked the league's officials. It has nothing to do with professionalism for a league to choose what their officials should look like. The NFL has followed the NBA, FIBA and any other organization to not want to follow the traditional uniforms of all levels of sports officials. I might not personally like the entire look, but that is their right to change if they choose to. Just like the USFL used a different uniform (which involved shorts) the NFL can change too. If college wants to change their uniform that is their right to do so. I know if someone was going to pay me enough money to officiate those games, I would not care as long as I am on the field.

Peace
Hmm... I heard that the NFL saw the new CFL knickers and showed immediate interest in following the CFL's lead.
Old Thu Aug 07, 2008, 07:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Hmm... I heard that the NFL saw the new CFL knickers and showed immediate interest in following the CFL's lead.
Actually, the NFL has had these pants for about 2 years now. They just did not make them required to wear. Madden Football was showing these pants on their officials since Madden 07 (which was in 2006). The NFL might have made them a requirement this season. I have seen the stripe before, but I cannot think of when they were wearing them during the regular season.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 07, 2008, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

I also noticed the stripe on Madden and thought it was a mistake. I personally like the black pants that they wear in cold weather.
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 02:59pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Met a VERY good NFL official at a camp I went to recently...

the officials do not like the new uniforms....
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

I think officiating will go towards the black pants. The black pants provide better layering options for all officials. For officials with large legs the black pants are far more comfortable and provide more options on cold days.

I talked to quite a few officials at my state meeting and most of them are starting to see the benefits of the black pant. In fact, most guys who do little league and high school (which is most of us) are going with shorts and black pants exclusively this season for the youth games.
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The change was not because of attention. The change was a result to have a uniform that could not be duplicated without their permission. For example the many beer commercials and other ads that essentially mocked the league's officials.
I thought Pereira downplayed that aspect of it at the time, but I admit I can't find where he might have said that.

Regardless, they've taken a timeless, classic look and made it clownish (two years ago) and now even moreso (with the black stripe).

Speaking strictly as an NFL fan, I think it's cluttered and unnecessary and the design is uninspired and cartoonish.

Speaking as an official, when it comes right down to it, though, JRut, you're 100% correct - I'll wear whatever they want me to wear, especially if it's on a Sunday in the NFL.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sat Aug 09, 2008, 12:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
I thought Pereira downplayed that aspect of it at the time, but I admit I can't find where he might have said that.
That was the explanation that I gave you, came directly from a current NFL Official when he spoke to an association I belong to (I am also a member of the association that he belongs to as well). I am sure the NFL told the staff the reasoning for why the uniform change. I have no idea if that was the only reason, just the one I heard.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 09, 2008, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
the NFL has had these pants for about 2 years now
This is correct. I saw these pants 2 years ago at a meeting and even commented on how awful they looked then!

Quote:
The change was a result to have a uniform that could not be duplicated without their permission.
First of all, its pretty difficult, if not impossible, to trademark a "look." You can easily trademark a logo or other "mark," but not a stripe running down your pants. Also, it isn't like its that difficult to copy a stripe. Finally, commercials have already copied the shirt -- at least somewhat. At a glance, its difficult to tell the difference between the actual shirt and one copied for a commercial.

I agree with the OP. Whether the intent is to draw attention to themselves, that's what they've done with the recent uniform changes. The shirts are no big deal, but the various pants and knickers changes are absurd. Go back to the white knickers and change the shirts as needed every few years.
Old Sat Aug 09, 2008, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For officials with large legs the black pants are far more comfortable and provide more options on cold days.
The actual pant is simply the Honigs elite knickers that are full length. There isn't anything more comfortable about it, except for the fact that you don't have to wear the traditional socks like we wear. The fit is essentially the same. About the only advantage on a cold day is being able to wear whatever black socks you want -- including wool socks if they work or are allowed. Other than that, you can layer just as easily with the knickers.

I personally, don't like the look of the pants in football, but I will concede the advantage of no striped socks (which I hate) and the pant does better with mud than the white knicks.
Old Sat Aug 09, 2008, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

I also recall the suggestion that the NFL shirt was redesigned, and trademarked, partially because of commercials referencing officials. The NFL had zero control over the use of the traditional black and white striped shirt because it's a standard used in so many venues.

Creating a unique design, and trademarking it, gives the league control over which commercials may use the likeness. I presume the NFL requires stiff fees as well as editorial control over content and presentation for the use of their design in any commercial effort.
Old Sat Aug 09, 2008, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
the comments by writers about the officials coming in the same little car have started already....
Old Sat Aug 09, 2008, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
I stated the RESULT was more attention, not the intent. As for the trademark, etc., anyone who makes a commerical using the traditional uniform is getting their point across. They don't need the latest NFL fad uniform to make their point. To the public, a referee is a referee.

The NFL, like the NCAA and others is very paranoid and controlling in what they do.

The only thing different in the uniform since I started in '75 is stripes on our socks and getting away from the strirrup sock. Tradition reinforces credibility. Look at teams like the Yankees and Celtics, two of the winningest franchises ever. Do they change uniforms every 2 years?