The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 09, 2008, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
The actual pant is simply the Honigs elite knickers that are full length. There isn't anything more comfortable about it, except for the fact that you don't have to wear the traditional socks like we wear. The fit is essentially the same. About the only advantage on a cold day is being able to wear whatever black socks you want -- including wool socks if they work or are allowed. Other than that, you can layer just as easily with the knickers.

I personally, don't like the look of the pants in football, but I will concede the advantage of no striped socks (which I hate) and the pant does better with mud than the white knicks.
I was under the impression that the pants are made by Reebok and fit more like sweat pants rather than knickers. They certainly do not look like they fit like knickers in the legs.

Last edited by IceGator8; Sat Aug 09, 2008 at 07:56pm.
Old Sat Aug 09, 2008, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

The fit may be a bit different due to the way the pant is cut, but unless they've changed the pant from the one I saw, its simply a long Honigs Elite knicker.
Old Sat Aug 09, 2008, 11:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The fit may be a bit different due to the way the pant is cut, but unless they've changed the pant from the one I saw, its simply a long Honigs Elite knicker.
The pants might be modeled after another brand, but Reebok is responsible for all the new uniform designs.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 10, 2008, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't know if I buy this. I've seen the pant on some of the bigger officials and it seems like they have much more room than an elongated elite knicker would provide.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
That was the explanation that I gave you, came directly from a current NFL Official when he spoke to an association I belong to (I am also a member of the association that he belongs to as well). I am sure the NFL told the staff the reasoning for why the uniform change. I have no idea if that was the only reason, just the one I heard.
JR, you know I love ya, so don't get defensive. I have no doubt that many different people say many different things. I was just saying that I thought I remembered Pereira (which makes it "official" - moreso than a current NFL official saying it at an association meeting) downplaying that aspect of it. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he never did downplay it or never did address it.

But it wouldn't be surprising if that was part of the reasoning. It also wouldn't be surprising if the NFL wanted to "officially" give the impression that it was above such mundane considerations, and that the timing of the redesign, right after a major beer company's season-long campaign featuring guys in traditional stripes, was a complete coincidence.

BTW, say hey to everybody in FVFO for me. Miss 'em. It's hot here.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

When the NFL updated their officials uniforms they said it was because it had been so long since they updated them, and they wanted to use the more technically modern fabrics available. Since they have an exclusive contract with Reebok, they redesigned the official uniform also.

Like...
pullover all weather shirt
black pants, but lose the wide white stripe

Dislike...
black stripe on white knickers

Suggest...
piping on the pants leg or knickers that matches the piping on hats would not be bad.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sorry, what was wrong with this look again?

"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 03:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
JR, you know I love ya, so don't get defensive. I have no doubt that many different people say many different things. I was just saying that I thought I remembered Pereira (which makes it "official" - moreso than a current NFL official saying it at an association meeting) downplaying that aspect of it. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he never did downplay it or never did address it.
I really do not even know what you are disagreeing with. And personally I do not see this as a major issue. I just know what was told to someone and what they repeated. It does not mean much to me why or how this uniform came about. I am sure the NFL took many different positions on this because they did get some crap about these uniforms and especially from the officiating community.

Quote:
But it wouldn't be surprising if that was part of the reasoning. It also wouldn't be surprising if the NFL wanted to "officially" give the impression that it was above such mundane considerations, and that the timing of the redesign, right after a major beer company's season-long campaign featuring guys in traditional stripes, was a complete coincidence.
Once again, I was just repeating what was told to a room full of people. That does not mean that was the actual reason or that there was not more behind the story. I can tell you I feel the NFL does not care what we think though. And even if the officials do not like it, I do not know anyone retiring as a result.

Quote:
BTW, say hey to everybody in FVFO for me. Miss 'em. It's hot here.
We have a meeting tonight. I will do my best to get that message out. Hope things are going well where you are at.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

I wasn't disagreeing with you at all, Jeff. I was just asking the question.

This is why you're so beloved here, my man. Even when someone loves ya, you gotta be right all the time.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 04:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I wasn't disagreeing with you at all, Jeff. I was just asking the question.

This is why you're so beloved here, my man. Even when someone loves ya, you gotta be right all the time.
I at a loss for why what this conversation has to do with being right or wrong. We are sharing opinions and those opinions have different perspectives. This is a discussion board right? It is not like we are talking about how to settle the energy crisis. We are talking about a uniforms in a league that most of us will never get the opportunity to ever work. There are a billion people in China that do not care right now. I know beyond the time I am taking to comment on this thread, I personally have more things I am concerned with than what some officials in a league I will likely never work wear. I just know if I were to work it, I would not be complaining.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 05:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
First of all, its pretty difficult, if not impossible, to trademark a "look."
I don't know, Harley-Davidson trademarked the sound of their motorcycles.