The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Close-up look at NFL officiating stuff

Stuff I saw at the NFL Experience, including a look under the hood. I was actually suprised (I don't know why) at how large the monitor is in there.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 09:45am
Chain of Fools

Wow, that was neat, thanks for posting that. Is the LS top a "shell" type cloth? I've seen what appears to be regular LS shirts and then sometimes they look more like a jacket. I've wondered if they have two different types.
I've got a lightweight adidas pullover that looks like it might be the same type material. I've hoped that eventually such an item will work its way down to the HS ranks!

I thought Samsung was the OFFICIAL t.v of the NFL? That monitor was a Panasonic. Uh-oh.

My son, who is 8 1/2, and I have been debating going to Canton, OH for part of his spring break in April to see the HOF. My brother originally had the idea but I told him to wait until my son was old enough to enjoy it. Now he can't go that week. We're debating on whether to leave him behind. I'm going to show him these pictures and see if that helps him make up his mind.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Gotta go to Canton. I've only seen a sliver of the stuff that's there and it's awesome.

And, yeah, that jacketlike thing is a kind of...well, I don't know how to describe it, but "shell" type cloth is probably what it is. Stiffer than cotton or polyester, thinner than neoprene or fleece. I'm hoping it's warm as it is despite its thin-ness.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Officiating while wearing a striped jacket and a hat with an emblem seems like what HS guys did in the 1950's.

Is the NFL ahead of the curve or way behind?
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 06:57pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
Like I tell my locals (in southern Ontario)... when I reference the NFL for officiating gems and some mention that it's an American game, not realizing that philosophy, etc., can be transferred, I tell them that "the NFL has forgotten more about officiating than we'll ever know."
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
Officiating while wearing a striped jacket and a hat with an emblem seems like what HS guys did in the 1950's.

I can't tell if the NFL is trying to look like the AFL, USFL, college intramurals or the Canadian league. I never have problems staying warm (in temps as low as 9) with UnderArmor and longjohns. I don't understand the need to change what they've had.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Indianapolis is going to make another bid this year to host the 2012 Super Bowl. They lost last year by 2 votes to Dallas because they will seat 30,000 more people in their new stadium than our new stadium (Lucas Oil Field replaces the RCA Dome this year). It sounds like they may compete with New Orleans which could be tough. That's a great city for the Super Bowl.

Our biggest knock is the weather. If they would have been here Monday it was 55 and sunny. Today is 10 and windy (10 below wind chill). We could get up to 6 inches of snow on Friday which will shut the city down. That would be devastating for Super Bowl week.

Indy's great at hosting major sporting events though (Indy 500, Brickyard 400, Final Fours, Solheim Cup, Swimming/Diving/Basketball World Championships). Everything is downtown and convenient. I can only hope!
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not guys around here. My dad wore an all white uniform during that time.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 08:56pm
Chain of Fools

The key to the "shell" jacket allows better/more layering and is water-resistant of maybe even waterproof, methinks.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
I can't tell if the NFL is trying to look like the AFL, USFL, college intramurals or the Canadian league. I never have problems staying warm (in temps as low as 9) with UnderArmor and longjohns. I don't understand the need to change what they've had.
That's great if you can stay warm but people are different. I think the layering options of the new gear make comfort possible for more people. I for one do not enjoy knickers. I feel like I would be far more comfortable with the pants so I could wear some of my fleece ski gear underneath if necessary. Last season I had two games where it would have been a huge jump in comfort to have this option.