The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 15, 2001, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Today, I was by myself and I called the R1 who was stealing to second out on the tag. From the sound of the crowd and the expression of the offensive coach, I think I might have made the wrong call.

Can anyone give me some advice that will help me make the right call on a close play at second,third or home? Assume that we are talking about a tag play and not a force out. I especially want to know if the positioning of the tag on the runner is the most important aspect in making a decision or do you focus more on whether the ball got to the ball before the runner?

Thanks
Old Tue May 15, 2001, 10:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Unhappy Not much you can do.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gre144
Today, I was by myself and I called the R1 who was stealing to second out on the tag. From the sound of the crowd and the expression of the offensive coach, I think I might have made the wrong call.

Can anyone give me some advice that will help me make the right call on a close play at second,third or home? Assume that we are talking about a tag play and not a force out. I especially want to know if the positioning of the tag on the runner is the most important aspect in making a decision or do you focus more on whether the ball got to the ball before the runner?

Thanks
Tell the coaches and the assignors to hire another umpire. You are always going to be out of position on plays like that. Do not pay attention to the crowd at all, they have an even worse angle than you do. They are looking through a fence or around players to see what you would never call from their angle, let alone the one you are making calls from. Get the best angle you can and try to know where the ball is and going to be, but do not over commit to the play, because you might find yourself out of position on the second and third throw if necessary.

Basically, there is not right and wrong way to make a call. You just do the best you can. If they want better calls, tell them to hire a partner to help you out.

Peace
Old Tue May 15, 2001, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Gre144,

You ask a bunch of questions there. IÂ’ll answer your one concern for the day.

If you were doing a 90ft game and you where working behind the plate. You made a good call.

Remember these figures 127 feet 3 and 3/8 inches. ThatÂ’s the distance from the rear point of the plate to the center of second base. Add another 5 or 6 feet to that, as thatÂ’s where you where standing. And any call you make at that distance with the crappy angle from behind the plate is a good call.

Your other questions are also answered. ANGLE/DISTANCE. But IÂ’ll let the other boys what type gooder then me go into detail.

rex
Old Tue May 15, 2001, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to blarson
Unhappy Agree with JR

If its a passed ball, you may be able to get out to the side more and maybe tops 10ft closer but thats it. Otherwise I get as many steps to the side that I can before I can set, edging for an angle if possible.

I love these solo games where the coach hands you the envolope and tells you you get the big bucks today. My reply is usually "By the end of the day, you or the other guys is going to wish you hired two." When the banger comes, they usually understand at that point.

Bob
Old Tue May 15, 2001, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Greg, when you are working alone and must make a pickoff call or steal call from behind the plate, call what the people in Cleveland saw. That is, if the throw is good and beats him, he's out unless you UNDOUBTEDLY saw a miss. If the throw is bad and there's a swipe tag, high tag, etc, call him safe.

Reward the good play, that's what the people in Cleveland saw. Forget the jeers when working a 1 man crew and calling plays 90 ft and beyond. If a coach comes to argue a call like this, he's stupid and needs to get into the dugout quickly. Don't let discussions like that persist when working alone.

Just my opinion,

Steve
Old Wed May 16, 2001, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

I was PU on no specific day and R1 slides into home and is dead out or safe and I make the call. Half of the crowd has me believing that the angle I had looking straight down on the play for 2 feet away is not nearly as good as the angle from the bleachers. Half the people will groan on any close call.

If you call what you saw, you got the call right.