The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

I think the question here is during a try in a third OT period, when both teams are required to "go for two", if A passes, B intercepts the pass in the EZ, starts to return and gets out of the EZ into the field of play, and then fumbles the ball back into the EZ where A recovers, does A score a 1 point safety?
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Roy, I think in your scenerio, if A RECOVERS the ball in the end zone, it will simply be a successful 2 point try for them.

If B recovers, or if the ball rolls out of bounds, then the question about the 1 point safety for A would apply.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

I can never get my A's & B's straight. The question I wanted to pose is as you noted is what do you have when B recovers it's own fumble back in the EZ?
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

That is a 1 point safety for A
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesears
Here is the rulebook wording:
=========================
Beginningwith the third extra period, teams scoring a touchdown must attempt a two-point try. A one-point try by Team A (although not illegal) will not score a point.
=========================

While I did not find a definition, any time the words "one point try" are used in the rulebook, it refers to a try by kicking what would otherwise by a field goal.

So IMO, this simply means team A won't be awarded a point if they kick the ball through the uprights. Any other play that results in a score by Team A still counts.
Still, that's uncharacteristically poor wording by NCAA (more expected of NFL). Ordinarily when rules specify that a team "must" do something, there's a penalty for not doing it (such as for failure to put the ball in play) or at least a forfeit of some kind (such as a choice), so then they had to go and add "although not illegal". It would've been so much clearer to add to the appropriate provision on scoring, "...except that in any extra periods following the second, it [i.e. a field goal during a try] shall not score."

The rule as written also suggests that if team A, during a try in the 3rd or subsequent tiebreaking frame, attempts an ostensible kick at goal, but the kick winds up in possession of K who then run it in, that they don't score 2 points because it was a try for 1 point.

Robert