The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 11:30am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC75 View Post
If you care to see how one of the 15 officials on the field can control a football game, check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck_spf9a_vQ

There is no argument that there are too many referees with too much control with too many stupid rules in American Football...

One long predictable commercial with some football in between.
I long to go back to the day when money does not govern the game.
If you don't like this game, please feel free to visit the Rugby forum below.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 11:57am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
If you care to see how one of the 15 officials on the field can control a football game, check this out...

There is no argument that there are too many referees with too much control with too many stupid rules in American Football...

I suppose there weren't enough Ed Hochuli threads here to catch the eye of an idiot like yourself.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Fumbleruski

Can someone tell me why an offense can not intentionally fumble a ball if they want to, like with a fumbleroski? (and I don't mean an illegal bat of the ball forward or fumble forward)

This is just another example of a rule added to the game to make it more predictable and boring. Anyone who says that trick plays and trick formations are not exciting to watch is lying.

I read in an early post that the consensus among refs is taht these sort of plays are degrading to a team who comes to the game more prepared and with better players.

My old high school football coach, who won 8 state titles had an arsenal of trick plays just in case we needed them, offense and special teams. We practiced them often and prepared ourselves to use them. It is part of the game.

What about when an opposing army uses a surprise attack or does something to surprise the other army to get advantage.

We had a play called the "oh sh!t play". The QB would throw a WR screen to a WR who would be intentionally behind the QB on the Wing. The QB would intentionally throw the ball into the ground so that it would bounce up to the WR as a fumble. The WR would say "Oh SH!T" as if it was incomplete and teh play was dead but after a second the WR woudl then throw a bomb to the split end who was usually wide open for a TD.

9 out of 10 times if we didn't notify the ref he would call it incomplete. Once, even after telling the ref and the WR was 3 yards behind the QB in the wing, he still called it incomplete.

Or

How about the "too many men" on the field trick play where the QB or Kicker pretends to be confused and count the players on the field during a no hundle play and yells at the recent substitute to get off the field. (Two men leave the field from the previous play and one man comes on.)
The substitute runs toward the sidelines and just as he is about to exit the field the center snaps the ball to the QB or direclty to the kicker and the exiting sub turns downfield for a bomb into the end zone.
Refs always call too many men on the field for this one if not notified and still even when notified a flag usually is dropped.

There are so many we used I can't even remember them. Muddle huddle, Hook and Ladder, Statue of Liberty, QB double option with the QB optioning it to RB who can then option right to another RB or left back to the QB if he wasn't tackled... We even practiced a dropped kicked onside kickoff though I don't know if it's legal.

Some might say that this is Grab @ss football, but I think it's great football.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 12:36pm
Archaic Power Monger

Do you have a point or are you just trolling? We get it, you don't like how football is and wish it were more like rugby. Fortunately for you, rugby is already a sport. Why aren't you trying to change rugby to be more like football instead?
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...How about the "too many men" on the field trick play where the QB or Kicker pretends to be confused and count the players on the field during a no hundle play and yells at the recent substitute to get off the field. (Two men leave the field from the previous play and one man comes on.)
The substitute runs toward the sidelines and just as he is about to exit the field the center snaps the ball to the QB or direclty to the kicker and the exiting sub turns downfield for a bomb into the end zone.
Refs always call too many men on the field for this one if not notified and still even when notified a flag usually is dropped.
REPLY: Well, it's nice to know the officials got that one right, since it's a blatant violation of the illegal participation rule, which prohibits the offense from using substitutions or pretended substitutions immediately before the snap to confuse the defense. I'm sure the officials you're speaking about appreciate your endorsement.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
15-man mechanics would be epic.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

That fact that JPC's only posts in his "long" history on this board have been in the A-11 thread should tell you something.

Last edited by TXMike; Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 04:19am.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So the game is officiated badly so you want less officials? How would that make anything better? More nonsense.

Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
We had a play called the "oh sh!t play". The QB would throw a WR screen to a WR who would be intentionally behind the QB on the Wing. The QB would intentionally throw the ball into the ground so that it would bounce up to the WR as a fumble. The WR would say "Oh SH!T" as if it was incomplete and teh play was dead but after a second the WR woudl then throw a bomb to the split end who was usually wide open for a TD.

9 out of 10 times if we didn't notify the ref he would call it incomplete. Once, even after telling the ref and the WR was 3 yards behind the QB in the wing, he still called it incomplete.
Anyone have a shovel? It's getting deep.