The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

NF: Pushing a teammate

NF:
Normal scrimmage play/formation. At the snap, linebacker B1 pushes nose guard B2 into the snapper A1. The contact by B2 against A1 is legal (no personal foul, illegal blocking/clip, etc...)

Is the push by B1 legal?
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 12:33pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_NV
NF:
Normal scrimmage play/formation. At the snap, linebacker B1 pushes nose guard B2 into the snapper A1. The contact by B2 against A1 is legal (no personal foul, illegal blocking/clip, etc...)

Is the push by B1 legal?
CANADIAN RULING:

Legal.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

9-2-3 A defensive player shall not:
b. Use his hands to add momentum to the charge of a teammate who is on the line of scrimmage.
Illegal use of hands or arms (Arts. 1a, 2, 3a, b, d) (S42)

So it sounds like it might not have been legal. It all depends on how B1 contacted B2.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_NV
NF:

Is the push by B1 legal?
Rule 9, Section 2, Article 3b: A defensive player shall not use his hands to add momentum to the charge of a teammate who is on the line of scrimmage.

Warren beat me.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

I have been to many, many high school football games and playoff games and have never, EVER, seen this called!

Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn
I have been to many, many high school football games and playoff games and have never, EVER, seen this called!

The reason you've never seen it called is that I've never seen it happen. If I saw it, I'd call it.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

The rule specifies that the hands must provide the added force. I would guess that most times if force is added it comes through shoulders or arms.

If I see them stack on defense just before a kick I will watch in that area for the pull-and-shoot. I have yet to ever see defensive players trying to push each other this way. I have seen the pull-and-shoot though it hasn't been successful when I saw it.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

This was legal in NCAA until this year. We used to run a field goal block called a "double push" where we lined up 2 d-linemen over the guard and 2 linebackers had their hands on their backside and would push the d-linemen.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenkicker
The rule specifies that the hands must provide the added force. I would guess that most times if force is added it comes through shoulders or arms.

If I see them stack on defense just before a kick I will watch in that area for the pull-and-shoot. I have yet to ever see defensive players trying to push each other this way. I have seen the pull-and-shoot though it hasn't been successful when I saw it.
I've never seen the pull-and-shoot but I have seen a player line up behind one of his linemen and push him into the line. I flagged it. As you can expect, after we explained it to the coach his was irate and stated that he never heard of such a thing.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
This was legal in NCAA until this year. We used to run a field goal block called a "double push" where we lined up 2 d-linemen over the guard and 2 linebackers had their hands on their backside and would push the d-linemen.
They could still do it legally as a wedge, pushing shoulders on butt cheeks.

Hey, it wasn't too long ago that NCAA specifically allowed pyramiding as long as it wasn't feet-on-shoulders.

Robert