The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Trying to find the specific rules for HS that say punching the ball is illegal.

Also can't find the rule that would forbid a player from jumping off the back of another player, for instance a White Player #1 gets on his hands and knees and White player #2 uses that players back to go up for a slam dunk. Where is the violation?

Thanks
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

A player shall not ...strike it with the fist...
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Are you clarifying a backyard dispute. If so what is the bet? a 12 pack or case. Haven't seen the high schoolers try that one in a long time.

I don't have a rule book with me, just thought that it was an interesting question.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Gozer Send a message via Yahoo to Gozer
Not an exact quote ( dont have books on me try the last 1/4 of the book), but a player cannont use (come into contact with) any items or other players on the court to gain an advantage. ie screeners cannot hold hands and you can't boost another player. And most inportantly no RED ROVER on the court :P.

Take care hope this helps,

Kenny
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Haha, I actually ref intermurals under HS rules and had this incident come up. We couldn't justify the call because couldn't find it in the book.

Thanks for the help with the punching, that one hasn't come up but when I was looking for the off the back rule, didn't see it anywhere nor did I see it cut in the edits.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

on the dunk, 10.3.7.e and it's a T not a violation.

"Climbing on or lifting a teammate to secure graeter height."
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

I wasn't making fun. I just haven't seen anyone try anything like that since we played out behind the house.

BTW, welcome to forum.

So did you end up allowing them to do the jump off the back thing. Did it happen again after you allowed it he first time. Was it a pretty nice dunk?
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

No offense taken.

We called off the dunk, but they filed a protest after the game because I couldn't cite the rule lol... So I needed it for tonight to give to my supervisor (who suprisingly didn't know it offhand either)

The dunk was decent, more entertaining because it was this 5'7 little white guy with goggles.

The time response on this forum is insane haha... Have been reading through archives, lots of great stuff. Look forward to joining in the frey.

Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Also see 5.4.2 "The NFHS Basketball Rules Committee does not recognize protests"

and, for future reference, 2.3 covers calls that can't be found in the book.

You did fine.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stosh
Also see 5.4.2 "The NFHS Basketball Rules Committee does not recognize protests"

and, for future reference, 2.3 covers calls that can't be found in the book.

You did fine.
He said it was intramurals playing under high school rules. The NFHS has nothing to do with it.

Also 2-3 is not needed in this case as a specific rule exists.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 04:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

"Climbing on or lifting a teammate to secure greater height."
We have an esteemed member of this board (coughmtdsrcough) who called not one, not two, but three(3) T's on a play similar to this. The player jumped off his teammates back and then dunked the ball. The call was:
1) A "T" on the player on the floor for lifting a teammate.
2) A "T" on the other player at the same time for climbing on him
3) Another "T" on the player who jumped off his teammate for subsequently dunking a dead ball under R10-3-4. Note that this was also this player's second "T" on this sequence so that an automatic ejection goes with it.

FYI- don't try this at home!
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

We have an esteemed member of this board (coughmtdsrcough) who called not one, not two, but three(3) T's on a play similar to this. The player jumped off his teammates back and then dunked the ball. The call was:
3) Another "T" on the player who jumped off his teammate for subsequently dunking a dead ball under R10-3-4. Note that this was also this player's second "T" on this sequence so that an automatic ejection goes with it.

Wow. I can see justifying 1 and 2...but 3 is a real stretch. Wow...you gotta have cajones of steel...

Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Wow that is really interesting Jurassic... Reading the rule thats the exact right call... facinating.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 07:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Quote:
Quote:

Wow. I can see justifying 1 and 2...but 3 is a real stretch. Wow...you gotta have cajones of steel...

It happened in an off-season AAU game, if I remember the story right. Mark said that he made the call that way because he was more pissed off at the circumstances surrounding it than anything else.

Brings up kind of an interesting point though. Is the right call one "T" or two? Personally, I'd probably always just call one on the shooter in this case, and stay right away from the second "T" and most definitely the dead ball dunk call. The dunk is part of the over all play and the time frame is just too short. Opinions?
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Quote:
Quote:

It happened in an off-season AAU game, if I remember the story right. Mark said that he made the call that way because he was more pissed off at the circumstances surrounding it than anything else.

Brings up kind of an interesting point though. Is the right call one "T" or two? Personally, I'd probably always just call one on the shooter in this case, and stay right away from the second "T" and most definitely the dead ball dunk call. The dunk is part of the over all play and the time frame is just too short. Opinions?
I'm curious to see what others say on this. But I'd prolly go with just the one on the shooter. I think it would handle the situation nicely (cancels the basket, punishes the offender, gets the point across). Two T's is too harsh a punishment. You deny the scoring opportunity, award four free-throws and the ball. That's a potential 8 point difference in the score for a bit of horseplay.