The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

2 plays for your consideration

Today I did a make up JV game. I'm fairly experienced and fill in at wh around here while I'm here temporarily. Today our local sent someone to evaluate my U and my LJ. The observer made me puke.

1st and 10 at the 50. A1 drops back to pass, Left tackle A77 retreats and then chops B55 who is in high contact with left guard A60. I flagged it, and so did U. Quarterback drops back and scrambles and ends up sacked (never lost the ball) at the 30. Team B wanted to enforce the penalty so it was then 1st and 45 at the 15. Correct?

Late in the game I did not see the play happen, but after an on-side kickoff my LJ reported to me that he had a block below the waist on R35 during the kick which was recovered by R. We re-kicked from R's 45. Correct?

The observer railed us saying the first penalty should have been enforced previous spot, and the second from the end of the kick.
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 06:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev.
Today I did a make up JV game. I'm fairly experienced and fill in at wh around here while I'm here temporarily. Today our local sent someone to evaluate my U and my LJ. The observer made me puke.

1st and 10 at the 50. A1 drops back to pass, Left tackle A77 retreats and then chops B55 who is in high contact with left guard A60. I flagged it, and so did U. Quarterback drops back and scrambles and ends up sacked (never lost the ball) at the 30. Team B wanted to enforce the penalty so it was then 1st and 45 at the 15. Correct?

Late in the game I did not see the play happen, but after an on-side kickoff my LJ reported to me that he had a block below the waist on R35 during the kick which was recovered by R. We re-kicked from R's 45. Correct?

The observer railed us saying the first penalty should have been enforced previous spot, and the second from the end of the kick.
I guess "observer" doesn't mean someone "knowledgeable."
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 06:46pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:

CANADIAN RULING:

(a) {Play adjusted to be 1D/10 @ 55. Tackled at A35.} The hi-lo block you mention is a UR delayed knee block. B can enforce the foul from PBD and roll the down. This would result in A 2D/45 @ A20.

(b) If the block happended while the ball was airborne, penalize 10 yards in A's favour from Point of Possession. If the block was during the return, penalize 10 yards in A's favour from Point Ball Held.
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 09:30pm
Chain of Fools

You need to forward those comments to his supervisor/assignor. You shouldn't get dinged by the observer when the observer is wrong.
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And what was the observer supposed to learn from that? Or is it some hazing ritual for new referees?

Quote:
AFAICT, yes. I can hardly imagine the foul's having occurred farther back than where the run ended.

Robert
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

You'd think the observer would notice only the few dozen people in attendance instead of tens of thousands to realize he was at the wrong game.