The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 27, 2007, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA - Action after Replay

A question related to instant replay for all of you NCAA experts out there. (Could have come up in the UT-USC game.)

A25 catches the ball, then fumbles it. B47 picks it up and runs it back to the 4-yard line, where he is tackled by A50. A50 commits a 15-yard facemask penalty on the tackle.

However, the booth calls for a replay to determine whether the ball was fumbled or whether there was an incomplete pass. If the ruling on the field stands, B will have the ball 1st and goal on the 2. My question - what happens if the play is overturned and ruled an incomplete pass? Is everything after the INC cancelled? (I know the clock is reset.) Would the ruling be any different if the call wasn't a PF?
Old Sat Oct 27, 2007, 10:06pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
A25 catches the ball, then fumbles it. B47 picks it up and runs it back to the 4-yard line, where he is tackled by A50. A50 commits a 15-yard facemask penalty on the tackle.

However, the booth calls for a replay to determine whether the ball was fumbled or whether there was an incomplete pass. If the ruling on the field stands, B will have the ball 1st and goal on the 2. My question - what happens if the play is overturned and ruled an incomplete pass? Is everything after the INC cancelled? (I know the clock is reset.) Would the ruling be any different if the call wasn't a PF?
CANADIAN RULING:

Well, we don't have IR at the amateur level, so I could not say what would happen. Although the CFL does have IR, I do not know the CFL approach to this. I would imagine that due to the view of Unnecessary Roughness fouls in Canadian amateur football, the facemask (we only have a 15-yard version) would still be applied, as we frown upon any UR foul at any time.

The ruling would be:
  • Accept the penalty: L15, repeat the down.
  • Decline the penalty: roll the down.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

If the foul is a personal foul it must be dealt with. If it is not, then it is ignored. I am not sure about UC but I believe they are dealt with also.