The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 27, 2001, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Hello again, everyone. Unfortunately, I haven't been reading and posting on a regular basis lately, but I hope that will change now that basketball season is starting up again.

My first NCAA rules question (I'm in college this year) relates to that issue of so much contention last season - the replay for an end-of-game shot that can effect the outcome of the game. The rulebook states that all replay equipment must be located courtside, emphasizing the fact that someone in the stands with a camcorder cannot bring a tape down - the camera itself must be on the sideline. What is the procedure when a TV outlet is covering the game and provides the replay video? Is it permissible to use the cameras high up in the bleachers because they are professional? How is this dealt with?

Thanks.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2001, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
The ONLY time that video may be used by the officials to help determine the appropriate situations during a game is when the MONITOR is located in the vicinity of the court (usually within about 10 feet). Therefore if a local TV station just has a cameraman at the top of the arena getting footage for the 10 o'clock news, it is NOT permissible to use this.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2001, 12:16am
Do not give a damn!!

12 Feet?

The rules meeting that I went to, said that the monitor had to be within 12 feet of court. So the camera cannot be a team manager in the top of the stands video taping for coaching purposes. And it can only be used for the precribed purposes for determining shots in what the rules allows. I am not sure if the Men's and Women's rules are the same here. I will look in my book and get back with you on this.

Peace

Old Mon Oct 29, 2001, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Same topic/different question

Does a coach have to request that a last second shot be reviewed? Or does the referee review the play any time a shot is made in the final second of a game?

I'm asking b/c there's a question on this year's NCAA test about a head coach requesting a review of the final shot. The official's original call is confirmed by the video tape. Is the requesting coach's team then charged with a time-out, since his "challenge" (NFL lingo, sorry) was not upheld? OR is his request ignored, since the official is required to check the video anyway?

Chuck
Old Mon Oct 29, 2001, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Re: Same topic/different question

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Does a coach have to request that a last second shot be reviewed? Or does the referee review the play any time a shot is made in the final second of a game?

I'm asking b/c there's a question on this year's NCAA test about a head coach requesting a review of the final shot. The official's original call is confirmed by the video tape. Is the requesting coach's team then charged with a time-out, since his "challenge" (NFL lingo, sorry) was not upheld? OR is his request ignored, since the official is required to check the video anyway?

Chuck
First, the rule requires the use of "replay equipment, videotape or television monitoring" -- so, note that the TV monitor is different from, and treated differently than, the usual videotape equipment most of us will see at less than D1 games.

If it's a TV monitor, then just the monitor must be courtside. If it's a videotape system, then the tape and the replay equipment (TV, VCR, etc) must be courtside.

"Courtside" is defined as "within approximately 3 to 12 feet of the playing court." The key word is approximately -- I'm sure as heck not taking out my measuring tape and not reviewing something if the monitor happens to be 100" from the court. Heck, in some places, the scorers table, etc. is farther than 12' from the court.

It's required to look at the monitor (assuming it's available) if the last second shot is good and will affect the outcome of the game (i.e., the shot ties the game or puts the shooting team ahead). The coach does not need to request this -- but the coach *can* request a review for other things -- 2 or 3 point shot would be the most likely. The review of both these items can be simultaneous. If the official rules the coach's request was incorrect, then the team is charged with a TO. No TO is assessed for the review of whether the last-second shot was released in time.

Men's and Women's rules on this are the same (although the specific game-ending mechanics may be slightly different).