The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 13, 2007, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

'Bama/Ole Miss final play

I've never been a fan of instant replay in NCAA and I saw a play today that solidified my feelings.

Just a few seconds left in the game. 'Bama up by 3. Ole Miss is driving and throws a bomb that is caught inside the Alabama 10 with just 7 seconds left (this was 4th down I believe...I was flipping and just caught this play). No flag, white hat awards new set of downs and Alabama calls time out...request review. Upon review it was discovered that the Ole Miss reciever has gone out of bounds on his own and then caught the ball. Officals asses penality and gives the ball to Alabama on downs (loss of down on 4th).

I don't believe that I've ever seen a penality enforced on a play that was only called because of what was seen on the replay.

I think that replay is here to stay, but I don't like the "every play is reviewed". If you have to have make it so that a coach only has as many replays as he does time outs. You call for a replay, you lose a time out. Win or lose the challange, you loose the time out.
Old Sat Oct 13, 2007, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth
I've never been a fan of instant replay in NCAA and I saw a play today that solidified my feelings.

Just a few seconds left in the game. 'Bama up by 3. Ole Miss is driving and throws a bomb that is caught inside the Alabama 10 with just 7 seconds left (this was 4th down I believe...I was flipping and just caught this play). No flag, white hat awards new set of downs and Alabama calls time out...request review. Upon review it was discovered that the Ole Miss reciever has gone out of bounds on his own and then caught the ball. Officals asses penality and gives the ball to Alabama on downs (loss of down on 4th).

I don't believe that I've ever seen a penality enforced on a play that was only called because of what was seen on the replay.

I think that replay is here to stay, but I don't like the "every play is reviewed". If you have to have make it so that a coach only has as many replays as he does time outs. You call for a replay, you lose a time out. Win or lose the challange, you loose the time out.

I was flipping around, too, and missed the play in real time.

I thought Saban called a timeout to allow the replay guys time to look at the play which they ultimately did.

And in college football, as in the pros, the coach loses a timeout if he calls for a replay that does not go his way.

And while I am no fan of replay, at least in college ball every play is subject to review, not just the last two minutes of a half as the NFL does.
If replay is supposed to get things right, then a wrong call in the 1st quarter can be just as important as one in the last two minutes of a half.
Old Sat Oct 13, 2007, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

but sloth, was the call right?

if the play was not corrected it would have most likely cost alabama the game.
Old Sat Oct 13, 2007, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Diehard Alabama fan here.

I have watched the play on my DVR in slow motion about ten times, and I can't tell (even through my crimson colored glasses) if our DB or their WR was the first to touch the ball. They both had their hands on the ball, and I can't tell who touched it first. But, apparently the replay guy found an angle that convinced him that the Ole Miss WR touched it first. And, I am sure am glad he did.
Old Sun Oct 14, 2007, 11:47am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
If replay is supposed to get things right, then a wrong call in the 1st quarter can be just as important as one in the last two minutes of a half.
Every sperm is sacred; and every play matters.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

'Bama will ALWAYS get the calls

As long as the SEC office is in Birmingham...and this was true long before Saturday.

Either way, if the NCAA rules allow for the R to tack on a penalty to the replay, then the right call was made. Otherwise, I'd hate for the Tide to actually lose a ball game on a blown call by the officials.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: NCAA rules (12-3-2b) allows review of "a legal forward pass touched by an ineligible receiver." Since an NCAA player who goes out of bounds of his own accord loses his eligibility (unlike Fed), this play was reviewable. That's all the replay booth reviewed. They didn't attach the penalty; the crew on the field did once they were told that the replay official told them that the Ole' Miss receiver was OOB and was first to touch the pass.