The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Great Alaska Shoot-out.

ALA, down 79-76, makes inbound pass tableside near division line with :02 on clock.
Teammate catches ball in FC and starts dribble to evade defender.
CLEARLY steps into BC before gathering the ball to make a shot attempt from half-court.

The official nearest to the play observed all and made no call of any sort.
The shot attempt hit the backboard on the outer edge. It would have been
interesting if the shot attempt was successful.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

I agree.
And the travel call just before that was even more interesting, especially when the shot clock expiration was thrown in too.
Trust your partner, if he has a better view than you do!
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

I agree

It should have been Wash Ball with approx 3 sec remaining.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 05:15am
Official Forum Member

Re: Shedding a little light

Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
OK, I live in Alaska and attended the semi-finals on Friday night in person, but was watching from home for the championship game. Anyhow, the University of Alaska Anchorage, which hosts the Shootout, is a Division II Program. All the other teams are Division I. They fly in a bunch of D1 officials and each crew is made up of 2 D1s and 1 "local" official, the guys that call most of the seawolf games.
The TV announcers said this at the start of the game, too. They gave the names of the officials and then said of the last guy, "who is the local official."
Good for those guys! What a thrill to work that tourney.
Interesting that you knew this and so did the TV announcers.

Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
I wasn't paying attention on the final play where the guy that stepped on the division line and it didn't get called, as to which official passed on that call, but the "travel" on the previous play WAS the local official.

As for that travelling call, I thought that momentum like that when you're going for a ball is not travelling, at least in NFHS. Is this different in College ball?
You are correct. Sliding due to momentum is allowed in both NFHS and NCAA play. The bigger problem on this play was that little Nate Robinson didn't even have control of the ball during the slide. The C made the call with a blocked view. He was looking at Nate's back as he dove on his side. The ball was loose in front of his stomach for about 95% of the dive. He only grabbed the ball and passed it at the very end.
The C should have stayed out of it and trusted the T who had the frontal view. Hence my earlier comment.

The shot clock also expired on this play before Nate possessed the ball. I was surprised that the officials didn't go to the monitor on the play, but I'm now thinking that they can only go look if a shot attempt is involved. I'll have to look up the exact wording of the rule and post it.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Nov 28th, 2004 at 05:18 AM]
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 05:31am
Official Forum Member

8. Ascertain whether a shot-clock violation occurred at or near the
expiration of time when it may determine the outcome of the game
(win, lose or tie).

Well, the way this is worded, it is unclear whether the use of the replay monitor would have been permissible, since it doesn't mention a try. With only about 3 seconds remaining in a three point game, the awarding of possession is critical and could certainly determine the outcome of the game.

I'm just not sure that 2 or 3 seconds on the clock fits with what the NCAA means by at or near the expiration of time.

I'd have to say that review is probably not allowed in this case.
Maybe some of our college regulars can clarify this.