The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal Motion vs False Start

I know there is something similar to this topic right now but wanted everyone to know when they see the title the topic is known, sorry.

I am just curious how everyone sees the difference.

My main reason for this is to see how we should handle these plays. Live Ball or Dead Ball (kill it when it happens)

An "A" player with his hand on the ground lined up as an interior lineman lifts his hand. My interpretation here is a FALSE START

An "A" player with his hands on his knees who is lined up as an interior lineman stands up, rocks back, or rocks forward. My interpretation here is a "FALSE START"(Unless of course it is obvious the lineman is shifting legal to another spot on the line, a whole other discussion)

An "A" Player with his elbows on his knees lined up as an interior lineman is placing or trying to place his hand at the instance the ball is snapped. My interpretation here is a FALSE START

This is how "I" see these plays.

I see False starts as those movements by interior lineman. (I know it is possible for a back to have a false start as well like missing the count and moving forward to soon)

Illegal Motion I view as movement on the backfield players prior to the snap. (i.e. moving forward)

The backs have a chance to reset or go in motion.

I have no rule books in front as of now for this discussion but will shortly and i may and probably will find myself to have some holes in my interpretation.

But feel this is a good topic to discuss.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

I would say, "Please refer to one of the other 20 times we've had this argument here", but people are going to chime in anyway, so it looks like we're having this argument again.

You will find it virtually split down the middle between people that want a back moving early called a false start, and those that want it called illegal motion.

My answer - you know it when you see it, and defense's reaction (or lack thereof) DOES matter.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Actually ... "An "A" Player with his elbows on his knees lined up as an interior lineman is placing or trying to place his hand at the instance the ball is snapped. My interpretation here is a FALSE START" is not a false start - it's illegal motion. He's not illegal until that ball is snapped, and he didn't simulate the start of the play. You should blow False Starts dead, but illegal motion is a live ball foul. This one should not be killed.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder
Actually ... "An "A" Player with his elbows on his knees lined up as an interior lineman is placing or trying to place his hand at the instance the ball is snapped. My interpretation here is a FALSE START" is not a false start - it's illegal motion. He's not illegal until that ball is snapped, and he didn't simulate the start of the play. You should blow False Starts dead, but illegal motion is a live ball foul. This one should not be killed.
I would say that one is an illegal shift, not illegal motion, although they are both 5 yard LB fouls. Support for my opinion would be the following case play.

7.2.7 Situation: The quarterback by voice command has signaled his teammates to assume a set position while he is standing upright behind the center. The quarterback steps forward and places his hands under the center to receive the snap: (a) at the instant the snap is made; or (b) which is made after he is motionless, but prior to one second having elapsed; or (c) which is made after he is motionless for one second; or (d) which is made after he is motionless for one second, but while he is stepping backward with one foot as the snap is made.
Ruling: In (a), it is illegal motion. In (b), it is an illegal shift. In (c), it is legal. In (d), it is legal unless a teammate is also in motion at the snap.
Comment: If the quarterback drops his hands under the snapper without stepping forward, it is a shift and not motion. (2-38; 7-2-6)

The bold text above is similar to the lineman going from elbows on knees to on ground. He is not moving his feet forward, just his hands, so shift instead of motion.

I agree the other 2 would be a FS.

Last edited by MJT; Wed Sep 19, 2007 at 04:48pm.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, but I just can't fathom why this is such as issue.

In your first play - lifting the hand is a false start by definition. An interior lineman can't lift his hand off the ground. If you want rule reference, look it up.

In your second play - it is a false start because getting up and rocking forward simulates action at the snap.

In the third play, your lineman is shifting at the time of the snap (going from two-point stance to three-point stance is a shift). Since he is shifting when the ball is snapped, it is an illegal shift. It is NOT a false start because it does not simulate action at the snap (as stated in the other thread, people get up at the snap, they don't go into a three-point stance when the ball is snapped).

To further support that argument, in plays one and two, it doesn't matter when the ball is snapped. The action itself is a foul. In the third one - the shift to a three-point stance is a legal shift. It becomes a foul ONLY if the ball is snapped less than one second after the legal shift. So the shift isn't what made the play illegal, it is the snap that made the shift illegal. Thusly, it is a foul similtanious with the snap - which makes it, by definition, a live ball foul.

Enough said? There - frustration vented. Now I have to get ready for my crew meeting, and believe me, this will not be a point of discussion.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

In the third play... this may or may not be a legal shift, but will always be illegal motion. Just because the one lineman was going to a three point stance when the ball was snapped, by itself, does not constitute an illegal shift.

However, a lineman shifting to a three point stance when the ball is snapped will always be illegal motion:

7-2-7....the player in motion shall be at least 5 yards behind his LOS at the snap if he started from any position not clearly behind the line...
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABO77
In the third play... this may or may not be a legal shift, but will always be illegal motion. Just because the one lineman was going to a three point stance when the ball was snapped, by itself, does not constitute an illegal shift.

However, a lineman shifting to a three point stance when the ball is snapped will always be illegal motion:

7-2-7....the player in motion shall be at least 5 yards behind his LOS at the snap if he started from any position not clearly behind the line...
I have to disagree. In the third play, it will always be an illegal shift and will never be illegal motion. You need to read 7-2-7 a little further. The player in motion shall be at least 5 yards behind his line of scrimmage at the snap if he started from any position not clearly behind the line and did not establish himself as a back by stopping for at least one full second while no part of his body is breaking the vertical plane through the waistline of his nearest teammate who is on the line of scrimmage. The lineman in the third play isn't attempting to go in motion by this definition. He is merely getting set. This is a shift. This is completely legal until the snap of the ball makes it illegal, per 7-2-6. Call it illegal shift.

Scott
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

7-2-6 is the one that not called about 3/4 of the time! All must set fot 1 full second or it is illegal shift. If the Qb sticks his hands under center and immediately says go and snap is immediate then it is illegal shift. Most of the time this is let go!
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: For the interior lineman who is in the process of placing his hand on the ground, I agree with mbcrowder...by itself, it's illegal motion. But I also agree with ABO that the entire situation might also be an illegal shift. The reason that the lineman's movement (by itself) can't be an illegal shift is very simple--he hasn't completed the movement. A (Federation) shift occurs when an offensive player moves from one set position to another set position. The fact that he wasn't set again means it's not a shift.

ABO's point recognizes the fact that this lineman isn't operating in a vacuum. It could very well be that the rest of the linemen had completed their 'shifts' to a three point stance less than the required second prior to our guy beginning his movement. Note that an illegal shift is a 'team' foul in that one person is never alone responsible. While that statement is always true for NCAA because of their definition of a shift, it is almost always true in Federation also.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn
7-2-6 is the one that not called about 3/4 of the time! All must set fot 1 full second or it is illegal shift. If the Qb sticks his hands under center and immediately says go and snap is immediate then it is illegal shift. Most of the time this is let go!
I would say that is a "talk to" situation the first time and it probably won't happen again. It also is one of those things that is ticky tack to call if he does actually get stopped, but maybe for only a short second, not a long second. A bigger issue that needs to be called is if the lineman are "rolling" into the snap as they never get set after going down cuz in that case an advantage is occurring.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: For the interior lineman who is in the process of placing his hand on the ground, I agree with mbcrowder...by itself, it's illegal motion. But I also agree with ABO that the entire situation might also be an illegal shift. The reason that the lineman's movement (by itself) can't be an illegal shift is very simple--he hasn't completed the movement. A (Federation) shift occurs when an offensive player moves from one set position to another set position. The fact that he wasn't set again means it's not a shift.
I'm going to stick with 7-2-6. After a huddle or shift all 11 players of A shall come to an absolute stop and remain stationary simultaneously without movement of hands, feet, head, or body for at least one second before the snap. illegal shift (Art. 6) - (S20).

The lineman goes from huddle to hands on knees. That's a legal shift. Afterwards, he begins to shift from hands on knees to 3 point and the ball is snapped before he can get to 3 point. This violates 7-2-6 and not 7-2-7! I leave 7-2-7 to motion by backs -- forward motion or 2 in motion at once. If the lineman was trying to establish himself as a back and go in motion, as per 7-2-7, and didn't do it correctly, I'd flag him for illegal motion. However, just trying to shift to a new stance and not conforming to 7-2-6, it's illegal shift.

Scott
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

I disagree MJT. I see this alot on 3 and short and 4th and short and the offense is running a sneak. The QB never really is ever set!
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: FedEx...let's take a look at 7-2-6. It says "After a huddle or a shift..." So we know the 'huddle' is irrelevant to this play. So if 7-2-6 is to apply, there must have been a 'shift.' The definition of a shift requires that at least one player, after taking a set position, moves to another set position. Since the lineman never reached his new set position, exactly when did this shift take place?

Like I said, there could have been an illegal shift in this play depending on when the other linemen went to their final three-point stances. But if all the other linemen were set in their stances (for at least a second) and this lummox then began to drop but was still in the process of getting to his new set position, he hasn't yet shifted so it can't be an illegal shift.

But call it whatever you care to as long as you call it
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Fedex, the only way you can have 7-2-6 is if two or more players are involved. (except maybe for the QB)

In other words...one player alone (shifting) cannot cause an illegal shift.

However illegal motion can only involve one player...never two or more.

Case: all 11 players have gone to there pre-snap positions. The interior lineman are in a three point stance except for the left guard who is in in a two point stance. All 11 players have paused for one second and no player has gone in motion. As the left guard is shifting to a three point stance (with out a false start) the ball is snapped.

Illegal shift? Illegal motion?
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Bob,

Thanks for the clarification. I read your word document on motion vs shift and it has cleared it up for me. So, if the lineman goes from 2 point to 3 point and doesn't make it to the ground when the ball is snapped, it's illegal motion. If he makes it to the ground and 1 second hasn't elapsed before the snap, it's an illegal shift, right?

Scott