The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 19, 2001, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Rules. A80 is the left split end lined up on the line of scrimmage. A77 is the left tackle. A21 is lined up on the line of scrimmage in a two point stance between A80 and A77.

In a smooth continuous movement, A21 steps back and goes in motion parallel to the line of scrimmage. He did not pause or stop once he moved into the backfield.

Is this a False Start or Illegal Motion?

I ruled Illegal motion since he was in a two point stance and therefore not restricted in movement (7.1.3.4.c), and because a lineman cannot go in motion (7.1.3.5.4), and because he did not stop in the backfield to establish himself a back (2.27.4.b) but my crewmates claim this is still a false start because he started out a lineman.

Please chime in.

dh
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

That is what I would call. If, as you say he did not simulate the start of the play then let it go.

Ask your crewmates this. What if he continued in motion and then got set on the other side of the formation? Then you have nothing. Watch Penn and Ohio State they do this quite often.

There is a team in our area that covers up the TE with a wide receiver. The TE is in a two point stance, he then switches to the other side of the formation and gets set. The coaches always tell us in pre-game that they do this because sometimes they get called for false start.

You are correct, live ball illegal motion, lineman in motion.

[Edited by TXRick on Nov 20th, 2001 at 10:10 AM]