The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Illegal Substitution??

I was R Friday night when the following play happened:

K in field goal formation for the Try. All 11 members were set when the 12th player runs onto the field and when he gets in between the holder and the line, he realized he wasn't supposed to be in and ran off. He never verbally called for a player to come out, and he never set up in the formation. I called Illegal Substitution, but am not so sure I should have.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

I think you nailed it. If you look at 2-32-15 he actually became a player, and therefore, you have an illegal sub as per 3-7-3.

So unless someone can chyme in here and tell me I'm wrong, I'm saying nice call!
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

If he got set up in the formation or communicated with a teammate, yes, BUT from what I am reading, you said he got between the holder and the line but didn't get set up before he turned around. If that is the case, there would be no foul according to 2-32-15.

Last edited by MJT; Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 11:21am.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

sorry, MJT, doesn't make much sence to me. A player can get in the field, be the 12th man on the field as the play clock runs and then get out without a foul? Would it be a foul if he, while inside, gave instructions (verbally or by signals) to his team?
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvasques
sorry, MJT, doesn't make much sence to me. A player can get in the field, be the 12th man on the field as the play clock runs and then get out without a foul? Would it be a foul if he, while inside, gave instructions (verbally or by signals) to his team?
In that case, yes, but that is not the original question. In the original question, he ran in and before telling a teammate he was in for him, or lining up in a position, realized he was wrong and ran out. If that is the way it happened, by rule he has committed no foul.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds to me like you "Kicked" the call! then yelled 3 in the box coach, I am sure!
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn
Sounds to me like you "Kicked" the call! then yelled 3 in the box coach, I am sure!
Well, it's always a good thing that most coaches don't really know the rules. So, the coach hollered from the sideline that it wasn't Illegal Substitution because he never got in the huddle, and of course I conveniently didn't hear him, and nothing ever was said about it afterwards (especially since they made the try anyway after the five yard penalty).

On a related note, it is always funny to me how most of the mistakes that we make as officials are not noticed by the sideline and certainly not by the crowd, but the stuff that they holler and scream the most about us screwing up on, we normally have right. For example when the crowd hollers - "He was outside the pocket!!! LEARN THE RULES!!" (after a flag for Intentional Grounding)
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC2
Well, it's always a good thing that most coaches don't really know the rules.
Typical Coach.

Team A has 5 interior linemen; 2 slot receivers to the right, both off the line; a wide receiver on the end of who is on the line; QB and two running backs in the backfield. Ball is snapped and HL throws a flag for illegal procedure. Head coach argues that he only has 4 in the backfield. His reasoning? The QB doesn't count.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 06:16pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC2
I was R Friday night when the following play happened:

K in field goal formation for the Try. All 11 members were set when the 12th player runs onto the field and when he gets in between the holder and the line, he realized he wasn't supposed to be in and ran off. He never verbally called for a player to come out, and he never set up in the formation. I called Illegal Substitution, but am not so sure I should have.
CANADIAN RULING:

No bus are allowed after 2 have borken the Team A huddle and the RFP is in. The foul exists when more than the allowed number of players is on the field, or if B player is distracted by the exiting player. Seems like this case is not a foul.