The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 05:28am
Official Forum Member

Coin toss signals

When a team wins the coin toss and chooses to defer until the second half, is that signalled to the press box immediately before asking the other team the remainder of the choices? Or do you get all the information from the captains before doing the signalling. Or does it really matter? Couldn't find it in the book. I've seen it done both ways and both seem appropriate.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I've always been told to signal that a team deferred before asking the other team for their choice.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
I've always been told to signal that a team deferred before asking the other team for their choice.
By the book I think that is right, but I think it looks a little choppy, so I get all the info, pat the coin toss winner on the shoulder-signal defer, go to the other captains and signal-receive. I just don't like the time gap between signalling defer-asking the other captains what their choice is-and then stepping over and giving that signal. I've seen it done both ways in HS and NCAA.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

After getting all the info needed, I tap the coin toss winner on the shoulder, signal they are deferring and then give the kicking signal from that position. I don't think it makes much sense to go from team to team. If one team is kicking, the other has to recieve.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

But now you are signaling choices that weren't made. One team chose to receive and by default the other is forced to kick. This is why they want the signal quickly for defer because then R can just go to one team usually and indicate what was chosen. And it always seems like the captains end up about 10 yards apart after we have them move to the positions they have chosen so R has a long way to walk.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 01:50pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Whenever I'm the WH, after it's been decided who won the coin toss, I point to that team's captains like I am signalling a timeout: two arms extended outward.

That lets everyone know who won the toss. When all the choices have been made, I signal accordingly:
  • first (optional)
    • like an incomplete pass for defer
  • second
    • the NFL-style catch-was-good for receiving
    • the leg-swing kicking motion for kicking
    • pointing with two extended arms to an EZ for defending that end
  • third, if the second choice was to defend an end
    • the NFL-style catch-was-good for receiving
    • the leg-swing kicking motion for kicking
Then the crew cheer: "In God we trust, all else pay cash," or, "Nnnoooooo... phone calls."
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

We typically do a pre-toss about 20 minutes before kickoff away from the coaches and other players. Then we do a simulated toss at mid-field right before the opening kickoff. It definitely speeds things up and we don't have to worry about the things you mention here.

Some coaches have requested we do a live toss so a team can't prepare for the opening kickoff. If that is requested and both coaches agree, we do a live toss. I think it adds to the excitement of the opening kickoff.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Huh? Where do you officiate?
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Iowa

Here in Iowa we are to have a mock toss about 20 minutes before the game. We usually have ours after the warmups are over and the teams leave the field thus not interfering with the teams warmups.

Coaches like that so they know when they leave the field which unit needs to be ready to play when they come back out.

We then bring the captains to the middle of the field prior to kickoff.

At this time we go thru all the mechanics.

As the white hat i bring both teams captains out with their backs still to their sidelines.

My umpire and i then are with the captains and i repeat what occurred earlier so all us of us agree on the choices.

I then explain to them stand at the end of the field they will start the game. no further than like the 49 yard lines so there is not a huge gap.

i then go to the team that wno the toss tap the captain on the shoulder face the pressbox and give them the signal which would correspond with their choice.

keep it simple, its not a show.
Old Thu Sep 06, 2007, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenkicker
And it always seems like the captains end up about 10 yards apart after we have them move to the positions they have chosen so R has a long way to walk.
Warren,

In my area, the winner of the toss defers approximately 75% of the time. I step out and give that signal as soon as they make that decision. I then step back in to obtain the choice of the other team. They almost invariably choose to receive. I then find out which goal the other team wants to defend. Probably 90-95% of the time, they will choose to defend the scoreboard so they will be facing the clock in the 2nd or 4th quarter. I always put my captains between me and the scoreboard as we walk out. That way, I am facing the scoreboard as we have the toss and the receiving team ends up closest to me once they face the correct way.

P.S. Check you PMs.