The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

its those darn little things

The offensive team is set for 1 sec. The center has his right hand on the ball and his left hand resting on his left butt cheek. while his head is looking back [head down] - looking thru his legs - to see the QB in a shot gun position. The center then SNAPS his head up and his left hand onto the football. While doing this NOBODY jumps into the neutral zone. IS THIS A FALSE START ? It is taught this way, because the.. Freshman - JV and Varsity Centers ALL do it that way.... Some say call it early and make the center change his way...... Some say Just call false start if he pulls the defense off. Others say ignore it... Where do you fit in?
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 04:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

The question you have to ask yourself is was the action simulating the snap. The rules do not say that everyone has to be completely still. Offensive lineman can move their head and even their body just as long as they do not simulate the snap. And if the center does something and no one moves, it probably is OK. Ultimately you would have to see it.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Canfootball52
Quote:
Originally Posted by oHIolj
Some say Just call false start if he pulls the defense off. Others say ignore it... Where do you fit in?
You can't call it some of the time and then not call it the rest of the time. If you call it once, then you have to call it all game.
Personally, I would call it. Then I would explain to the centre, as well as the coach at halftime, why this is illegal.
If this was something that I was aware of prior to the game, I would discuss the play with the coach in my pre-game. I would let him know that if the centre did that, it would be flagged as Illegal Procedure (the Canadian equivalent to a false start). Then hopefully the coach will pass the message to the centre, and we will not have any problems during the game. It's amazing the penalties you can prevent in the pre-game with the coaches.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oHIolj
The offensive team is set for 1 sec. The center has his right hand on the ball and his left hand resting on his left butt cheek. while his head is looking back [head down] - looking thru his legs - to see the QB in a shot gun position. The center then SNAPS his head up and his left hand onto the football. While doing this NOBODY jumps into the neutral zone. IS THIS A FALSE START ?
Reads like it fits the NCAA phrase "quick, jerky movement", but it does not resemble the movement that player would make at the start of play.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 04:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking American ruling!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canfootball52
You can't call it some of the time and then not call it the rest of the time. If you call it once, then you have to call it all game.
Personally, I would call it. Then I would explain to the center, as well as the coach at halftime, why this is illegal.
If this was something that I was aware of prior to the game, I would discuss the play with the coach in my pre-game. I would let him know that if the center did that, it would be flagged as Illegal Procedure (the Canadian equivalent to a false start). Then hopefully the coach will pass the message to the center, and we will not have any problems during the game. It's amazing the penalties you can prevent in the pre-game with the coaches.
I do not know what they do in Canada, and personally do not care. But the reality in America and at most levels in America, it really might depend on the reaction of the defense. If the defense does not move in many cases, it is not likely going to be called. No different if a running back moves and the defense does not react. Of course this is completely a judgment call and every movement needs to be taken on their own merits. After all this is why we get paid the big bucks. It is all about the judgment of the official's involved. Even if you tell the coach this is possibly not legal, does not mean it will not fit the definition of a false start.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

I think if he does it and nobody reacts, let it go. I don't think its too different than the o-line that "snaps" itself down. If he only does it on 4th and less then 5, then I've got a problem.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

This is a no-win situation for the offense because, if the defense does jump, the call will go against the offense for a false start. We had a coach last year doing something similar in a pre-season scrimmage and we were able to convince him to take it out of his play book. I'd probably call a FS the first time it happened and then we won't have to see it the rest of the night which would be nice for everyone.

When my son was played in HS, his team had a play they used on 4th & short. The QB would be under center and then he'd do all sorts of jerks and moves to try and draw the defense offside. It never worked but it iritated me that a FS was never called because the defense never jumped. I wish he would have been flagged the first couple of times he tried it. It would have helped the offense because all it ever did was either eventually waste us a time out or got us a delay of game. It never ever was going to get us a 1st down.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
This is a no-win situation for the offense because, if the defense does jump, the call will go against the offense for a false start. We had a coach last year doing something similar in a pre-season scrimmage and we were able to convince him to take it out of his play book. I'd probably call a FS the first time it happened and then we won't have to see it the rest of the night
You sure? A snapper's routine is important, and if they've been practicing it that way, it would be hard to break the habit in the middle of a game.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

I was refering to a goofy sudden shift the team was doing. They did it on some plays but not on others so it would be easy for stop it.