The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Kudos to Marty Foster for calling the balk on Kline of the Orioles tonight. It was a balk and should be called despite what Mazilli said after the game.

Is it me but does anyone think CB Bucknor will be history after this season? I do not care for him and it seems like he is the one in the middle of perceived or actual missed calls and arguements. Others miss calls, it is part of the game but he seems to have more than most. I personally think he will never be among the elite and lost all chance with the Lou Pinella confrentation a few years ago. Am I off in this?

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
Kudos to Marty Foster for calling the balk on Kline of the Orioles tonight. It was a balk and should be called despite what Mazilli said after the game.

Is it me but does anyone think CB Bucknor will be history after this season? I do not care for him and it seems like he is the one in the middle of perceived or actual missed calls and arguements. Others miss calls, it is part of the game but he seems to have more than most. I personally think he will never be among the elite and lost all chance with the Lou Pinella confrentation a few years ago. Am I off in this?
A confrontation with Lou Pinella has him branded? Come on...
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 08:50am
LeftyRef

OK I have to ask...Which Lou Pinella "discussion" are you talking about? I can't seem to remember a specific one with C.B....
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

I have to agree with you. It seems that CB has problems quite often. Granted, sometimes he has gotten the call right and players go crazy. But he often has problems based on missed calls and what appears to be an attitude, which can't be good for his reputation.

But he is an All-Star umpire this year. Like that means anything. :eyes rolling:
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

UNKNOWN, my butt

"The umpire is in control of the game. Leave it that way. If the guy cannot call a curve ball, or won't give the outside corner, then his reality differs from yours. And his is the only one that counts. Deal with it. Adapt to it. And if you can adapt to this faster than the other coach, then you have an advantage.- Xxxxx"

This is not "unknown" it was written by Jim Mantle a few years ago.

Jim was one of the first (and best) internet posters. I believe Jim suspended his umpire career to become Director Of Operations for a major Little League program in Quebec.

[Edited by Tim C on Jun 28th, 2005 at 04:16 PM]
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: UNKNOWN, my butt

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
"The umpire is in control of the game. Leave it that way. If the guy cannot call a curve ball, or won't give the outside corner, then his reality differs from yours. And his is the only one that counts. Deal with it. Adapt to it. And if you can adapt to this faster than the other coach, then you have an advantage.- Xxxxx"

The origional appears to be here: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...e55ddaed77e71a
The whole post is a good read.

-LL
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:

A confrontation with Lou Pinella has him branded? Come on...
As I recall it was CB's rookie year. Pinella, while still at Seattle, came out to argue a call and CB stood there with a grin on his face like it was a big joke. It was totally unprofessional. Of course ESPN was all over it. I originally chalked it up to him being a rookie and Pinella can be funny to watch when he gets off into one of his tirades. Ever since then tho it sees CB has had more than his share of "problems".

Does anyone know if there is any stats kept on how many times player/managers argue with a perticular umpire? I know they keep things like how many called 3rd strikes a Blue has, how many ball 4s are called by the blues, etc.

[Edited by cowbyfan1 on Jun 29th, 2005 at 03:14 AM]

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 04:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Peruvian Send a message via Yahoo to Peruvian
Quote:

Phil Cuzzi (sp) wouild be the one that I think should leave. He has the most confrontational demeanor out of all of them, IMO.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Re: UNKNOWN, my butt

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

Jim was one of the first (and best) internet posters. I believe Jim suspended his umpire career to become Director Of Operations for a major Little League program in Quebec.

[Edited by Tim C on Jun 28th, 2005 at 04:16 PM]
Tee:

mattmets was informed earlier of Jim's authorship. He apparently doesn't care.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

WOW!

Sorry Garth, my bad.

At least there is a link now.

T
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

any pithy .sig quote over 5 words is spam
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
I disagree on the assessments of C.B. Bucknor. I have seen a number of games he has worked this year, and he has had an inordinate amount of bangers on the bases. I've seen around 5-7 of these calls and he has nailed every one of them. The call on Sheffield Sunday was a good call IMO. Tossing Shef for slamming his helmet at C.B.'s feet was even better. No matter what Joe Morgan says, you don't slam your helmet at the umpire's feet and remain in the game. In prior years, I might agree with CB not being so great, but he has improved significantly this year in the games I have watched.

Now for some controversy, I believe Internet Umpires' Golden Boy, McClelland has had some issues this year that maybe he could have avoided but chose to go ahead and be the game instead of just arbitrating the game. Can't give specifics, just my opinion while channel surfing through the MLB package.

That being said, to reiterate a post Tee made a few weeks ago when someone questioned a College umpire's mechanics, these guys are working Yankees/Mets or Braves/Angels and my Big League (L.L. for HS kids) schedule includes Gordon's Gizmos v. Larry's Lunatics. Hmmm...I guess I will give them the benefit of the doubt.