The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Rule books received

Just curious to know how different associations handle the distribution of rule and case books, and officials manuals for Fed.
1. Does your state association provide you a copy of the books as part of your state registration?

2. If so, when (approximate date) does the state association get you your books?
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentref
Just curious to know how different associations handle the distribution of rule and case books, and officials manuals for Fed.
1. Does your state association provide you a copy of the books as part of your state registration?

2. If so, when (approximate date) does the state association get you your books?
In Iowa, our state assn. provides us with a rule book and case book every year. We never get an officials manual.

Ours usually come in about July 15th, but I have not yet received it for this year.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

In Kansas we, in the previous years, have gotten the Rules, Case, and Illustrated Books each year in late June. We also got the Official's Manual every other year as it is only printed every other year. This year we didn't get the Illustrated Book but got the 2007 Rules By Topic Book. I still need to open that one up to see what all it says.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Here in NJ, the portion of our local association dues that goes to the state association pays (1) to register us with the state, (2) for our insurance, (3) for membership in the NFHS, and (4) for our rule and case books. We no longer get the Officials' Manual which we used to get every other year. We usually get our books around the beginning of July.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Illinois- We receive the rules book and case book every year, and then the third book alternates between the officials manual and the handbook in the odd/even years. I think starting last year, they are not sending the third book due to some postal issue? Books usually come in mid to late July, but have been known to come in the beginning of August as well.

Last edited by LJ845; Mon Jul 16, 2007 at 07:36pm.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
The Rules by Topic books are very helpful.

Here in MO, we get our books from the state right around August 1. We receive the rules, case, and officials manual.

This year the state is also rolling out an online officials section which I am looking forward to. We will receive coaches' ratings online, renew, and receive all other corresondence from the state via the web. Should be sweet. Way better than the current system. We don't receive coaches ratings until May 1, after the season has been over for months. This way may be a little more immediate. Emphasis on may be.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

In Texas, our state dues cover rule book purchases. I'm not sure exactly when each chapter gets their books, but we usually get ours at our first association meeting -- usually in very late July (this year and last) or in very early August -- depending on when the Monday meeting date falls.

Since we work NCAA rules, there is no case book. Our mechanics manuals are written by our state association and are pretty much taken from the old 5 man (and, I guess, 4 man) manuals of the CCA. They are updated yearly and the 3 man manual is updated when they see fit. Last year was the first update since the late '90s. Anyways, the manuals come in PDF format on CD-Roms.

I've gotten to where I print everything out front and back and bind together in one big book. I've got everything -- rules, mechanics, UIL (Texas state athletic league) exceptions, and 6 man football rule differences -- under one cover. I've also been working long term on a rules guide -- something along the same lines as Redding, but a different style and format -- that I will add to the mix. However, the guide is probably 5-10% ROUGH DRAFT ready and no where near publication ready -- even if that was my ultimate goal.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

In NC, the registration covers the books. We get a rule and case book. We used to get a funny book and the officials manual but neither this year. I think they'll give us the Rules by Topic at our state clinic. Too expensive to mail.

Rule case book came today.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 09:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ845
Illinois- We receive the rules book and case book every year, and then the third book alternates between the officials manual and the handbook in the odd/even years. I think starting last year, they are not sending the third book due to some postal issue? Books usually come in mid to late July, but have been known to come in the beginning of August as well.
There is some talk we will not get books except for every other year. The reason is postal costs have been going up and the IHSA does not want to raise the price on the officials for our licenses. We will have to see. This of course will not start until next year if this policy becomes a reality.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 10:27pm
Chain of Fools

Rule books...mine came today

The officials manual isn't due out again til next season ('08).

I bought the Rules By Topic from Referee magazine the past two years. I don't remember the NCHSAA giving those out at the state clinic. They did have some "funny books" they gave out to those who wanted one.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 10:32pm
Broadcaster

Do you have to be a member of an association to buy a book? Or can any broadcaster trying to learn buy one?
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 02:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg
Do you have to be a member of an association to buy a book? Or can any broadcaster trying to learn buy one?
A broadcaster study the rules!! I don't know if this was meant to be a joke or not, but I laughed either way!

And to actually answer your question somewhere on the NFHS website I think there is a place to purchase rule's book.

I got my Rules/Case book about 2 weeks ago. INDIANA
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 07:14am
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGref
A broadcaster study the rules!! I don't know if this was meant to be a joke or not, but I laughed either way!
No, not a joke. I got burned once on the air doing a high school game confusing an NFHS with an NCAA rule. I sounded like a complete idiot going back and listening to the tape. I'm determined to not let that happen again. I understand knowing the rules and explaining them correctly will keep me from getting a national job. Oh well.

Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 08:05am
Chain of Fools

Purchasing rulebooks

Anybody can buy them-just go to the National Federation website. Referee Magazine sells versions of the rule books too.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg
Use this link. In addition to the rule book I'd highly suggest the book Football Rules by Topic. There's a $10 minimum on orders anyway, so you may as well buy both books.

http://www.nfhs.com/index.asp?cmd=sh...ory&param_0=64