The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 15, 2004, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

I enjoy studying the history of our game, and tracking it's progress through rule changes. So I collect rule books. Currently I have the original ASA Rule book (well, near original; it is probably 1936 or '37); supposedly a '40's book (identical to 30's book), one from 1952, 1983, 1992, and 2003/4.

As you can see, I am missing one from the 60's and from the 70's. So look around the garage, or in your old equipment bags and see if you have an old copy you will loan, give, or sell.

BTW -it is amazing how much today's game is like the original game of 70 years ago. Infield fly, appeal plays, hitting the ball with foot outside batters box, cannot challenge umpires judgment, BOO, etc. have been around a long time. Some obvious differences included bunting being illegal, runner could not score on passed ball, and runners had to stay on base until the pitch reached the plate.

Oh - and obstruction required having the ball in the hand - no about to receive!

SP was basically the same game as FP, except the pitch had to be delivered at a "moderate speed," which was interpreted by umpires has having a slight arc. And they obviously didn't have hot bats as the pitching distance was 31.5' vs 40' for FP. They also used a 14' or 16" ball; the 12" FP ball was illegal for SP.

Someday, when I have enough books I will document the major changes to the game over the 70+ years.

If you have a book available, please email me at [email protected].

WMB
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Rule books? Unfortunately, no. But I am very fascinated. It sounds like a wonderful project. Best of luck to you.

When you complete it and publish the book let me know, I will definitely want a copy.
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Pitching distance for SP was 31½ feet?

Time to have a "retro" tournament!
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Pitching distance for SP was 31½ feet?

Time to have a "retro" tournament!
I'm betting that game was played with that big heavy gushy 16" ball. ... used to have a couple of those, but kids have a way of loosing everything you ever wanted to keep.

The ball was big enough and heavy enough that I'm not sure you could have hit it much more than a hundred feet and it was soft enough that you didn't need a glove - probably wouldn't have fit in one of today's gloves. Just surmising.
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Now I have two 1930's rule books (ooops!) Does anybody want to buy one? 1935 or '36. $6 and I'll mail it to you.

WMB