The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

umpire on pass routes

In a coaching forum, I asked whether they ever deliberately used the umpire as a pick on pass routes. Some thought my Q was silly, but another said he did indeed take the U's position into account. (Then I followed up with a question about play faking to freeze the U, but didn't expect a serious response.)

If you as umpire suspect a team is deliberately using you to rub off coverage, do you try to do anything about it?

Robert
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Get out of the way! Seriously, get to the LOS quicker and it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
As a U, your first movement when you read pass should be towards the LOS. Now if there is a quick slant or something you could find yourself in the route, but ideally the umpire should get to the LOS as quickly as possible. For some umpires out there, they are lucky to even move two to three yards forward by the time the ball is in the air.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsrc
As a U, your first movement when you read pass should be towards the LOS. Now if there is a quick slant or something you could find yourself in the route, but ideally the umpire should get to the LOS as quickly as possible. For some umpires out there, they are lucky to even move two to three yards forward by the time the ball is in the air.
Heh -- that's why I mentioned play faking to freeze the U! But seriously, you'd have a tough time reading "pass" with these coaches' teams. It's mostly play action & quick stuff, the linemen pop blocking. Single wing stuff like running passes where they're showing an inside run, get up to the line and suddenly whip the ball out while jumping for a throw over the middle.

Robert
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Although I'm not an umpire by trade, most good U's will vary their initial position between the tackles from play to play. It's when the U is in the same spot down after down that QBs and coaches will start to use it to their advantage.

As for reading pass plays--I have yet to encounter a HS team that I couldn't figure out what the general type of play was the second the ball was snapped just by reading the guards, but a lot of that comes from great coaching during my playing days. College is a little different and trickier, but then I'm an FJ so I'm usually keying the tackle unless my WR is pressed.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 05:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_NV
Although I'm not an umpire by trade, most good U's will vary their initial position between the tackles from play to play.
Problem with that is that we (at least in my area) are told to mirror the side of the R (he can help with the line through the QB, so the U looks mostly C-TE on the opposite side.

Standing on the same side as my primary look means my angle is bad, so I'm basically frozen between C and T (maybe TE) opposite the R. Also I have to see the ball at the snap - not always easy depending on where the DT/NT is positioned, and taking into account the position of the LBs, and you often only have 2 choices (other than varying your depth).

The choices can be vary limiting. Best response for me has always been straight to the line. I've probably knocked as many TEs off their route as LBs of their persuit. Balance is key :-)

James
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 02:31pm

I have a friend who is a secondary coach in college and he has asked me more than once when are they going to move the U back behind the LOS with the R in order to avoid the problem all together. Keep in mind he coaches defense. You probably won't get any votes for a move like that from the offensive side of the ball.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

"...so the U looks mostly C-TE on the opposite side."

I have never heard of an umpire looking at a TE. The NFHS and NCAA mechanics I'm familiar with list the U primary keyes as the snapper and the guards and the secondary key as the tackle who is not the R's.
In all the mechanics instruction the TE is the key for LOS or deep guys.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj
I have a friend who is a secondary coach in college and he has asked me more than once when are they going to move the U back behind the LOS with the R in order to avoid the problem all together. Keep in mind he coaches defense. You probably won't get any votes for a move like that from the offensive side of the ball.
That will never happen. You can see holds by O-linemen much better setting up behind the D-line cuz you can see their hands and what they are doing. When behind the O-line, you often have their body between you and their hands on the defense. You need someone there.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

jaybird:

Right, I'm not sure why I wrote TE instead of T - Must have been lack of concentration.

James
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj
This was discussed by Pereira on an Official's Review segment after the NFL umpire was hit, I believe in Tampa. Garth De... something. Pereira said that the NFL has talked about moving the U to the offensive backfield but like MJT said, they see less over there.

I just don't see that change taking place.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

There are two pass plays I hate to see as an umpire. The first is the TE coming across toward me bringing the LB with him. The second is the middle screen well desguised as a drop back pass play.

I try to get to the line quickly to avoid downfield pass plays, but then you've got to keep your head on a swivel to see that screen play when the slot receiver slides down the LOS to the middle where the snap took place.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsrc
This was discussed by Pereira on an Official's Review segment after the NFL umpire was hit, I believe in Tampa. Garth De... something. Pereira said that the NFL has talked about moving the U to the offensive backfield but like MJT said, they see less over there.
I think it'd strongly affect the game. Like when the IWFL (or at least the local team) cheaped out and went to 4 man crews -- fine if you have games with little or no passing, but when they pass a lot it really affects the game vs. the 5- or 6-man crews other leagues were using.

Robert
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick KY
There are two pass plays I hate to see as an umpire. The first is the TE coming across toward me bringing the LB with him. The second is the middle screen well desguised as a drop back pass play.

I try to get to the line quickly to avoid downfield pass plays, but then you've got to keep your head on a swivel to see that screen play when the slot receiver slides down the LOS to the middle where the snap took place.
I know you said pass plays but a well executed draw is just as bad. You read pass and start to step up and all of a sudden you have someone with the ball chugging right for ya!
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

I would agree with Walt. The middle draw where the QB and O-Line have done a good job of creating a "pass read" so U is moving up to the LOS, then O-Line and RB fire straight back up the middle leaves the U with players in the front coming at him with 1 or more linebackers coming hard from his back. I can attest to the fact that the suggestion of "stay planted and let the RB go left or right around you" does not work real good on this kind of draw.