The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks To Reggie Bush

The Bears were back on their heels, when Reggie Bush pointed at Brian Urlacher as he ran in for the TD. First off, that should have been flagged. But more importantly, it got the Bears defense inflamed, and from that point on they shut down the Saints offense, and the Bears offense also did it's job.

Don't rouse sleeping Bears.

DA BEARS for the NFL CHAMPIONSHIP. (I hate the term "Super Bowl")

Bob
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
First off, that should have been flagged.
Why should this have been flagged? I do not believe there is any NFL rule or philosophy that deals with this kind of issue. The NFL is not like the NCAA or NF which have both addressed this specifically. The NFL has cracked down on many types of celebrations, but they do not deal with this specifically. You might not like it, but NFL Officials do what they are told and are scrutinized more than any of us will ever imagine. So if this was something the NFL wants addressed, you might see something change in the future. But as of right now, it fits the philosophy of previous plays.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Why should this have been flagged? I do not believe there is any NFL rule or philosophy that deals with this kind of issue. The NFL is not like the NCAA or NF which have both addressed this specifically. The NFL has cracked down on many types of celebrations, but they do not deal with this specifically. You might not like it, but NFL Officials do what they are told and are scrutinized more than any of us will ever imagine. So if this was something the NFL wants addressed, you might see something change in the future. But as of right now, it fits the philosophy of previous plays.

Peace
I was wondering if that was a foul. I know you'll see UC-tauting flags after the play but the pointing was during a live ball. He got is due when the Bears used that play to inspire them the rest of the way in a blow out. And Reggie will now have a reputation for being a showboat. Let's hope he gets away from that because he's too talented to become another TO.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj
I was wondering if that was a foul. I know you'll see UC-tauting flags after the play but the pointing was during a live ball. He got is due when the Bears used that play to inspire them the rest of the way in a blow out. And Reggie will now have a reputation for being a showboat. Let's hope he gets away from that because he's too talented to become another TO.
I live in Chicago and I have not heard anyone talk about this play by Bush hardly at all. Not to say that someone did not mention it, I did not hear anyone really talk about it on any level. I was not even commenting on the play other than the "should have been a penalty" comment. Whether it inspired the Bears or not is something that they would have to comment on.

I personally think the Bears were a better team and played like it. I do not think one play has anything to do with that win. I also think the country picked the Saints because they bought into a decent offense as most media people did in the BCS game and overlooked a very good defense.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
The Bears were back on their heels, when Reggie Bush pointed at Brian Urlacher as he ran in for the TD. First off, that should have been flagged. But more importantly, it got the Bears defense inflamed, and from that point on they shut down the Saints offense, and the Bears offense also did it's job.

Don't rouse sleeping Bears.

DA BEARS for the NFL CHAMPIONSHIP. (I hate the term "Super Bowl")

Bob
What woke up the sleeping Bears was NO calling 2 straight drop-back passes in their on end zone when the o-line had already shown throughout the game that they couldn't handle the Bears pass rush. Two Macallister runs up the middle and a safe play-action pass followed by a punt was the correct recipe for that situation.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

I thought that this thread was going to thank Reggie Bush for the increase of USC on scoring plays next year.

Remember in NFHS and NCAA live ball foul treated as a dead ball foul.

NFHS on the try.
NCAA, on try or KO.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofanump
I thought that this thread was going to thank Reggie Bush for the increase of USC on scoring plays next year.

Remember in NFHS and NCAA live ball foul treated as a dead ball foul.

NFHS on the try.
NCAA, on try or KO.
Now if we could only get it changed to a "real" live-ball foul. Take points off the board and see just how fast this crap stops.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roamin' Umpire
Now if we could only get it changed to a "real" live-ball foul. Take points off the board and see just how fast this crap stops.
This "crap" isn't going to stop. This is the NFL, which is ENTERTAINMENT first and sport, second. And... the Bears didn't need any motivation, not when the S'aints have 4 turnovers. The better team won.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Old school

First a taunt, then a flip into the end zone, then a dance.

Yep - that's football.

Without that kind of stuff, nobody would watch the NFL. Nobody watches college football anymore since they took it out.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Local newspaper reported that several Bears players were pretty ticked off at Bush's antics calling it "bush-league" (yeah, no-kidding) and "disrespectful" especially for a player whose team was losing. Some looked at practically: When asked what he thought of Bush's pointing/flip/dance, Brian Uerlacher responded, "Well, we're going to the Super Bowl...he isn't." Article also quoted Bush saying that "his emotions got the better of him" and that it was a "mistake on his part." He also apologized to his coach and his teammates--not the Bears. Now the $64,000 question...if the same situation presents itself in his first game next season, will he respond the same way???
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

The NFL DOES have a rule regarding taunting.

RULE 12 Article 1..(b) The use of baiting or taunting acts or words that engender ill will between teams.

Penalty: (a), (b), and (c): Loss of 15 yards from succeeding spot or whatever spot the Referee, after consulting withthe crew, deems equitable.

One of these days, a "hot-dogger" will do a flip into the end zone, land wrong, and break his neck and/or his back.

Also, when his team mates leap onto his back, and pile on him, the same result will happen.

Bob
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABoselli
First a taunt, then a flip into the end zone, then a dance.

Yep - that's football.

Without that kind of stuff, nobody would watch the NFL. Nobody watches college football anymore since they took it out.
That's why some universities have 100,000 in attendance at their games. And, if nobody watches NCAA football on TV, would the networks spend multi-millions of dollars to televise the games? And have sponsors standing in line to pay for commercials?

Bob
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 01:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The NFL DOES have a rule regarding taunting.

RULE 12 Article 1..(b) The use of baiting or taunting acts or words that engender ill will between teams.

Penalty: (a), (b), and (c): Loss of 15 yards from succeeding spot or whatever spot the Referee, after consulting withthe crew, deems equitable.

One of these days, a "hot-dogger" will do a flip into the end zone, land wrong, and break his neck and/or his back.

Also, when his team mates leap onto his back, and pile on him, the same result will happen.

Bob
The issue is not just if there is a rule for taunting and baiting, but it is how the rule is applied. Just because you think this is taunting, it does not mean it fits the interpretation of the NFL and must be penalized. It is clear they allow things in the NFL that would never be allowed at other levels. But they penalize very specific actions like using the ball as a prop during a celebration.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Actually saw a "taunting" foul (announced that way) called in an NFL game a few weeks ago. Don't remember the game, but I think it was the last regular season game. Offender (defensive back) got into the receiver's face yelling and pointing after knocking down a pass. It does happen...
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

I had an NFL official I know tell me they had a session on what is, and isn't a celebration/taunting. They are instructed on how to call these things.