The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Situation: OBR, R3, pitcher in wind-up position. As the pitcher goes into his wind-up, the batter drops his bat but stays in the batter's box. The pitcher stops his motion.

Do we have a balk?
Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 10:17am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by TwoBits
Situation: OBR, R3, pitcher in wind-up position. As the pitcher goes into his wind-up, the batter drops his bat but stays in the batter's box. The pitcher stops his motion.

Do we have a balk?
I'd have a word with the batter and a "do over".

This remains a game.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

No balk

Apply either (depending on how you viewed the play)

4.06 a) No manager, player, substitute, coach, trainer or batboy shall at any time, whether from the bench, the coach's box or on the playing field, or elsewhere_

3) Call "Time," or employ any other word or phrase or commit any act while the ball is alive and in play for the obvious purpose of trying to make the pitcher commit a balk.

PENALTY: The offender shall be removed from the game and shall leave the playing field, and, if a balk is made, it shall be nullified.

OR

6.02 If after the pitcher starts his windup or comes to a "set position" with a runner on, he does not go through with his pitch because the batter has stepped out of the box, it shall not be called a balk. Both the pitcher and batter have violated a rule and the umpire shall call time and both the batter and pitcher start over from "scratch."
Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Do you think he was coached to do that? I haven't seen this trick to try to get the run home and I certainly would not reward the offense. I coached for 12 years and it never ceased to amaze me what some clowns would try to do.

OBR uses the words "obvious intent" to cause a balk. I have seen bats fly out of players hands on swings but never an "accidental" drop of the bat as the pitcher is in his delivery. There would not be obvious intent in such a situation but I still would be motivated for a "do over" as was already suggested and not remove the player from the game.

G
Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

It depends!

I would judge the intent of the batter and rule accordingly.

If I know it was accidental then we have nothing.

If I even think it was intentional then I can rule accordingly, I think Rich stated several options.

Thanks
David
Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gmtomko
Do you think he was coached to do that?
It doesn't need to be. Players will pick up the tricks that others are successful at when they see them happen.

We did this frequently decades ago. It was, of course, our intent to get the pitcher to stop and the ump to balk him---which also happened about half the time. When it didn't happen, we were never penalized so we had nothing to lose in trying other than the pitcher might pitch for a strike. It was no worse than merely taking a pitch.

Players will do many illegal things when umpires don't apply the rules since they feel they have everything to gain and little to lose.

Experience speaking,

Freix

Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

As I remember, MLB revised this rule because of what happened in a game between the Pirates and the Astros in the early 1960s. Hal Woodeshick came in to relieve in the bottom of the ninth with the score tied, no outs, and the bases loaded. He struck out the first two batters and got two strikes on Clemente. As Woodeshick was about to deliver the next pitch, Clemente put his left up as if to say, "I'm not ready."

Balk. Game over.

Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

If the dropping of the bat was obviously accidental and the pitcher pitched (without a balk) would it be an automatic swing (strike)?
-Doug
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

If the dropping of the bat was obviously accidental and the pitcher pitched (without a balk) would it be an automatic swing (strike)?

Why would it be an automatic swing (strike) if pitch is clearly a ball?

Rule 6.03 states: The batter's legal position shall be with both feet within the batter's box.

I don't even see in any rule book where a bat is needed.

But, IMO, in any case, it would be a no pitch. In my judgement, the dropping of the bat would be disruptive and an unfair advantage to both teams.

Suppose the pitch hit the bat, or, interferred with the catcher fielding the ball with runners on. Or, etc...

Eliminate the what if's, and kill the play and let's do it again!

Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Hey guys, NFHS rules you can nail batter with a strike, if ya feel intentional. Never done it, probably could, but remember....we are the judge and jury here... and witness, why bring a craphouse down? Good luck...have fun.( Parting words of my plate meetings)
Old Wed Apr 30, 2003, 06:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by chris s
Good luck...have fun.( Parting words of my plate meetings)
I never wish either team, manager, or coach, "Good luck."
I say, "Have a good game."
mick

Old Wed Apr 30, 2003, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
mick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~ Why not, Mick? Some of the teams I see need all the luck they can get!!!!!
Old Thu May 01, 2003, 06:58am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
mick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~ Why not, Mick? Some of the teams I see need all the luck they can get!!!!!
chris s,
No doubt about needing all they can get.
And don't get me wrong, in a game, I'll take luck over skill any day. Winning, for me, has always been more fun than losing.

Yet, for me, offering a wish of 'good luck' implies my hope for that team to win.
Since I don't care who wins, and since I have been involved in some excellent competition in which I have lost, or in games where (it's too bad a score was kept) both teams played wonderfully, my main wish is for a high quality of sport... a good game.
mick