The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

NJ @ NE Official's Uniforms

Did anyone else notice the pants the officials were wearing in the New England game? They looked like some sort of black wind-pants with belt loops and a thick white stripe down the side of the leg. Anyone know why they were wearing them?
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostars
Did anyone else notice the pants the officials were wearing in the New England game? They looked like some sort of black wind-pants with belt loops and a thick white stripe down the side of the leg. Anyone know why they were wearing them?
See this thread...

wow there they are for all to see

PS- NO GOAL!
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

In short, layering more available for comfort.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

The pants are made out of the exact same material that are the Honigs elite knickers. Layering isn't an issue, as you can layer under the elite knickers just as well as under the pants. All the pants do, other than look very silly, is eliminate the socks. While that's a good thing, it doesn't outweigh the silly look.

Hopefully, the pants won't be back.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
The pants are made out of the exact same material that are the Honigs elite knickers. Layering isn't an issue, as you can layer under the elite knickers just as well as under the pants. All the pants do, other than look very silly, is eliminate the socks. While that's a good thing, it doesn't outweigh the silly look.

Hopefully, the pants won't be back.

How baggy do you wear your knickers?
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

What I thought was most interesting was that the New England coach had short sleeves on and the officials had black pants. I guess somebody thought it was going to get cold and wanted to be ready. I don't think the pants look that bad but it is harder to pick out the officials on tv when they don't have white pants.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

If you have never actually worn the uniform in a cold situation, I don't know how you can possibly state they provide no difference from layering under regular knickers. If you don't like the look, then just say so. Of course, I'm sure the only people who really care are other officials. I'd bet the players, coaches, and fans don't care, so the League probably doesn't care either. I'm sure the only thing they do care about (other than the endorsement money) is do the officials on the field like them.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 12:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L
I'm sure the only people who really care are other officials. I'd bet the players, coaches, and fans don't care, so the League probably doesn't care either. I'm sure the only thing they do care about (other than the endorsement money) is do the officials on the field like them.
You might be right about no one else really cares. But the issue did make the segment on NFL Live on ESPN called "What were you thinking?" They did criticize the look and blamed the officials for the look. It amazes me that a major media outlet would not know that this was the NFL's doing and not the officials themselves.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
You might be right about no one else really cares. But the issue did make the segment on NFL Live on ESPN called "What were you thinking?" They did criticize the look and blamed the officials for the look. It amazes me that a major media outlet would not know that this was the NFL's doing and not the officials themselves.

Peace
Wow! ESPN finding something...anything...new over which to criticize the officials. Who woulda thunk it!!
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

The NFL didn't change the official's uniforms. The NFL officiating department proposed the changes and they were accepted by the "Brass" of the NFL.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

The thick white stripe down the side, to me, makes them resemble a prison uniform.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 07:21pm
Chain of Fools

White Stripe

I think if they eliminate that stripe, they would look better. However, they then look no different than a pair of black wind pants with an added belt-thus not destinctive. One of the reasons the NFL changed the uniform design was to copyright and protect their "look".

I guess basically, they're just a high-tech pair of black coaches slacks with a stripe down the side.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref18
How baggy do you wear your knickers?
Exactly.

Saying that layering is the same as with knickers is kind of strange considering knickers go just below the knees and the new NFL gear goe to the shoes.

There is also the issue of how tight knickers are. I have huge legs and a 44 inch knicker is tight. I can't do much layering underneath. The NFL pants appeal to me because of the looser fit giving me more layering options.

I don't think they look bad, just different. Sometimes bucking tradition is a good thing.

Eric
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenkicker
What I thought was most interesting was that the New England coach had short sleeves on and the officials had black pants. I guess somebody thought it was going to get cold and wanted to be ready. I don't think the pants look that bad but it is harder to pick out the officials on tv when they don't have white pants.

Just imagine that you are at a flag football game being officiated by college guys trying to make a couple of bucks. That's what the pants remind me of.