The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 04, 2006, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

End of season bizarre behavior

Since I have no life...and worked only a Friday, I went to see a game. Senior Day. The usual ceremonies are going on. The cheerleaders and their parents get the flowers. The players and their parents. The visiting team is warming up. They are doing their normal thing to get revved up during their stretching.....z bit on the loud side... Now the parents of the home team are yelling at the visitors warming up on their side of the 50 because they are too noisy. My first thought was -- "wow--crazy stuff happens in games when I am watching too." But here is the question, what would white hats do....given a loud warm up. Is it disrespectful...yes. Is it something that can be dealt with.

The crew did nothing...nor do I think they really should have. What do you folks think.
Old Sat Nov 04, 2006, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Our authority takes over 30 minutes before gametime. If I feel they are being a pain in the a** on purpose, I will talk to the coach and ask him to stop it. I would think he would honor my request if I'd mention how important sportsmanship is and how parents night is a big deal to the seniors in every school. If not, I'd TELL him if he didn't have his players stop, we'd be starting the game with, one, if not more than one USC penalties on him, reminding him that if he gets 2, he is not going to be coaching the game.

I know we'd get backed up on that in Iowa, as we are to tell the coaches and captains before each game how important sportsmanship is to the athletic union. They will back us in sportsmanship issues such as what you described.

Last edited by MJT; Sat Nov 04, 2006 at 10:11pm.
Old Sun Nov 05, 2006, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

This is where home team management can help by telling the other team they need to plan their pregame appropriately because of senior night. They need to leave the field at a certain time for the ceremony. If needed added a few minutes to pregame or something.

Planning ahead and a little communications always helps.

MJT see you in Iowa, were you fortunate to have worked a playoff game or have one this week.

Good to see the Iowa zebras represented here on the board
Old Sun Nov 05, 2006, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBo
This is where home team management can help by telling the other team they need to plan their pregame appropriately because of senior night. They need to leave the field at a certain time for the ceremony. If needed added a few minutes to pregame or something.

Planning ahead and a little communications always helps.

MJT see you in Iowa, were you fortunate to have worked a playoff game or have one this week.

Good to see the Iowa zebras represented here on the board
Yes, we had Cherokee vs ELC. ELC RB ran 42 times for 403 yards, and 8 TD's in a 54-28 win, which was close until middle of 4th qtr. It was a very good game.
This is only our 7th year as a crew, so this was our one playoff game this year. Hoping to get a couple next year, or a 2nd round game. Tough in Iowa, cuz as you know only 2 out of 8 teams per district make the playoffs, so not many games. If a team has 2 losses, they are probably not gong to make the playoffs.

Where are you from BoBo?
Old Sun Nov 05, 2006, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

We had a game in our association get off to an ugly start in the same manner. Visitors were asked to clear the field before the game for Senior night activities and were given a place to warm up. They refused to leave. Just the start of a game that saw over a dozen USC and PFs. Thankfully, the crew performed admirably. The next week, 6 players and an asst. coach were suspended for one game for their actions during the game.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Nov 05, 2006, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Indianola, played football at BV 82-86

We have Grinnell at Washington this Tuesday night.

Crew been together for about 13 yrs now.

Been fortunate to work playoffs and have been in the dome a few times as well.

Hoping we can get a final soon have a couple of guys winding down their years in the stripes.

Would like it more for them than myself. they deserve it.

Our crew (5 of us combined) have close to a 100 yrs experience. Seems like we have seen everything but each year something new always seems to arise.

Dont give up hope we have worked all combinations
1st round only
2nd round only
1st, 2nd and semis
1st and semis
2nd and semis

Hard to figure out the method to their madness at times by the association

Good Luck I enjoy your posts
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontheref
Since I have no life...and worked only a Friday, I went to see a game. Senior Day. The usual ceremonies are going on. The cheerleaders and their parents get the flowers. The players and their parents. The visiting team is warming up. They are doing their normal thing to get revved up during their stretching.....z bit on the loud side... Now the parents of the home team are yelling at the visitors warming up on their side of the 50 because they are too noisy. My first thought was -- "wow--crazy stuff happens in games when I am watching too." But here is the question, what would white hats do....given a loud warm up. Is it disrespectful...yes. Is it something that can be dealt with.

The crew did nothing...nor do I think they really should have. What do you folks think.
My authority begins when I enter the field, usually 40 minutes before kickoff. I always get with game management to see if there is anything unusual scheduled. Around here, most senior nights and most homecoming activities start 30 minutes before game time, so I will go out a little earlier than usual. I make sure the visiting coach is aware of the situation. I have never had a problem, but I would not hesitate to strongly suggest to a coach that he and his needed to exhibit good sportsmanship during the activity, and would not hesitate to deal with (up to ejection) a coach/team that failed to do so. We have been instructed, in no uncertain terms, to deal with sportsmanship problems.