The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Great Game - one interesting play

Yesterday I am white-hatting a 2nd round HS playoff game. Two teams of contrasting styles one team is the WAC (Western Athletic Conference) type with spread offense, shotgun, throwing almost every play. The other is Woody Hayes (3 yds and a cloud of dust). Great game in which the WAC team wins 44-42. Neither team can stop the other. The game came down to an onside kick in the last minute in which R (Woody Hayes team) recovered to end any chance of WAC team winning. Interesting play late in third quarter. We have the WAC team going for 2 on the try. I have the QB, the ball is away, everything clean where I am and I hear this CRACK! I look up and the ball is at the top of its arc. We had OPI with the A player setting a pick on the B player at the goal line (ball was in the air) while another A player caught the ball in the EZ for the apparent 2 pts. The L had the catch and the flag came from the BJ. Great call so we had OPI, loss of down, try no good. That 2 points was crucial in the final result. Did we get it right? I hope so. Ironically, the A player was so wide open that the block wasn't necessary.

Midway in the 3rd quarter A is moving to the LOS for the play and I am thinking that I am lucky to be in the middle of such a great game. Both sidelines behaved and the kids were fine, helping each other off the ground after the plays were over. The field was surrounded by parents and fans, many of which were in their vehicles watching from there. You have to love good small-school playoff football! These games make the whole season worthwhile.
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

LOD on a try down is a killer, any score is wiped off and there is no replay. Thank goodness, the yardage does not carry over. That would really be a bummer.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

From what you describe, sounds like your crew got it right. Sure OPI on a try is a tough penalty on the offense, but remember, we don't write the rules, we only enforce em and sounds like you enforced this one by the book.

Small town ball IS great isn't it. I love that the stadium lights are the brightest lights in town. For some reason the moon is always full and rises midway through the 1st quarter ablaze in a bright orange, the stadium is packed with fans who've already seen the movie playing in town, and the coaches, players and fans always seem to be the most respectable and the most well behaved. The best part... they always take care of you at the snack shack too!!
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 02:00am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Good call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
...Great game in which the WAC team wins 44-42. {snip} (Woody Hayes team) recovered to end any chance of WAC team winning.
Huh?
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Good call.

Huh?
WAC team did an onside kick in the last minute. R recovered, otherwise the WAC team would have had a chance to win.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

???

But in the opening you said the WAC team did win?
Which is it, curious minds want to know
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radwaste50
But in the opening you said the WAC team did win?
Which is it, curious minds want to know
Sorry, temporary blackout. Woody won. Running game beats the passing game.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseMan
Small town ball IS great isn't it. I love that the stadium lights are the brightest lights in town. For some reason the moon is always full and rises midway through the 1st quarter ablaze in a bright orange, the stadium is packed with fans who've already seen the movie playing in town, and the coaches, players and fans always seem to be the most respectable and the most well behaved. The best part... they always take care of you at the snack shack too!!
Where are you guys from?
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJWalt
Where are you guys from?
North Dakota
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
North Dakota
Hey fellow NoDak!! I live in Indy now but am a Minot native. I went to NDSU thus the bisonlj user name. I wondered if the forksref name meant Grand Forks. Hope you are not a Sioux fan.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj
Hey fellow NoDak!! I live in Indy now but am a Minot native. I went to NDSU thus the bisonlj user name. I wondered if the forksref name meant Grand Forks. Hope you are not a Sioux fan.
Go Sioux! Beat the AC!
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 06:50am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
WAC team did an onside kick in the last minute. R recovered, otherwise the WAC team would have had a chance to win.
Quote:
Sorry, temporary blackout. Woody won. Running game beats the passing game.
Makes more sense now.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Go Sioux! Beat the AC!
It will be awhile before that happens. I bet UND is forced to change their mascot before we play again. With UND joining us in D-I soon the rematch should hopefully be coming soon!
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj
It will be awhile before that happens. I bet UND is forced to change their mascot before we play again. With UND joining us in D-I soon the rematch should hopefully be coming soon!
The Bison totally outplayed the Gophers. One of the few times in my life I was pulling for the Bison.

I disagree with UND going D-I. They are sacrificing all the other sports (except hockey) for the sake of FB.

Hope the rematch is soon, but the Bison sound reluctant to play right away.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

I think they are still a little bitter about UND snubbling them when they first moved to D-I. It was a strange situation where UND would be punished more by beating a D-IAA team than losing to a bad D-II team (regarding playoffs).

I'm sure they will eventually play again and the Nickle Trophy can be resurrected. It has spent way too much time in Grand Forks. I was at NDSU in the Phil Hansen-Tony Satter days so we were used to beating up on the Bison (and everyone else in D-II).