View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Great Game - one interesting play

Yesterday I am white-hatting a 2nd round HS playoff game. Two teams of contrasting styles one team is the WAC (Western Athletic Conference) type with spread offense, shotgun, throwing almost every play. The other is Woody Hayes (3 yds and a cloud of dust). Great game in which the WAC team wins 44-42. Neither team can stop the other. The game came down to an onside kick in the last minute in which R (Woody Hayes team) recovered to end any chance of WAC team winning. Interesting play late in third quarter. We have the WAC team going for 2 on the try. I have the QB, the ball is away, everything clean where I am and I hear this CRACK! I look up and the ball is at the top of its arc. We had OPI with the A player setting a pick on the B player at the goal line (ball was in the air) while another A player caught the ball in the EZ for the apparent 2 pts. The L had the catch and the flag came from the BJ. Great call so we had OPI, loss of down, try no good. That 2 points was crucial in the final result. Did we get it right? I hope so. Ironically, the A player was so wide open that the block wasn't necessary.

Midway in the 3rd quarter A is moving to the LOS for the play and I am thinking that I am lucky to be in the middle of such a great game. Both sidelines behaved and the kids were fine, helping each other off the ground after the plays were over. The field was surrounded by parents and fans, many of which were in their vehicles watching from there. You have to love good small-school playoff football! These games make the whole season worthwhile.