The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

You're right. After reviewing the replay, it is clear that Tre Smith does indeed have eyes in the back of his head, so he was perfectly aware that there was no upright Gator within ten yards of him.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbduke
You're right. After reviewing the replay, it is clear that Tre Smith does indeed have eyes in the back of his head, so he was perfectly aware that there was no upright Gator within ten yards of him.
Let's not kid ourselves, this was a premeditated dive and somersault and by rule should have drawn a flag.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 02:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
Let's not kid ourselves, this was a premeditated dive and somersault and by rule should have drawn a flag.
What does "unopposed mean?" I am going to assume that would mean different things to different people. If I remember the correctly the play was close to the end zone and the return was not even 20 yards long (someone let me know what the correct yardage is). For you unopposed my have been obvious, but for the official on the ground without the benefit of replay and possibly the same "wide view" might have thought the player was not located.

I was watching a game about 3 or 4 years ago. Mississippi State was playing BYU in Provo, Utah on a Thursday. I do not remember the exact play or situation, but I believe MSU recovered a fumble and the player ran for about 70+ yards for a TD. The MSU player dove into the end zone and about 20 yards away from the end zone he was shedding a potential tackler from behind. He got free and dove when he thought he thought someone was behind him. Actually there was a player about 5 yards away when he dove and the player without hesitation was flagged by the officials. I personally did not like that call at the time but I realize that the official on the game had a different perspective.

So what you might consider "unopposed" might be different to another official. The officials must have felt he was "opposed" and did not throw the flag. I am not saying it is right, but they might have a different perspective than you or I have about that play.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

I totally agree with jbduke. That kid had no idea who was behind him. And there were players "close enough" to make a play on him. He picked up the ball, made two steps and dove. I wouldn't have called it either.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Anyone watching this play objectively can see that his dive was not a case of him stretching out to reach the endzone just in case some pursuer grabbed hold of his ankle. Note that he didn't extend his arms with the ball. That would be a natural thing to do if the dive was warranted. No, he tucked the ball and his upper body so that he could completethe show with the somersault. It was a clear case of showmanship.
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

You guys flag that play all you want. I'm leaving it alone.

Roll Tide!!!