The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Basic (5-man) Umpire mechanics

I have to fill in on a 5-man sophomore crew tomorrow night at Umpire, where I've only spent one junior high game (2 years ago) and part of a scrimmage (this year).

Veteran umpires, what are the basics I need to know on plays from scrimmage (and kicks) so I can at least do the job and not look like a total idiot?

What I remember from having been taught and from watching others:
  • 5-7 yards off the LOS, hopefully behind the linebackers (which side do I favor, though, strong side? Weak side?);
  • Initial keys are the two guards and the center (because the wings have their respective tackles);
  • If you read pass, you'll have to step up and be ready to swivel on a short pass to either side. You also have LOS responsibilities if the passer threatens the line, or is that only in fewer than five man?
  • Get the ball back from wings if it's outside and spot ball;
  • Spot ball on runs up the middle with spot help from the wings if necessary;
  • March off penalties and re-spot ball;
  • Keep a towel handy in case of wet conditions that necessitate the ball being kept dry or dried off.
  • On goal line, don't signal touchdown, but signal (two crews I know say pull on your lanyard) to the wings that he's in so they can signal touchdown;

That's all I know. I'm clueless on kick mechanics as an umpire.

I know I can read this stuff in a manual, and I will, but the experience of my fellow officials is often easier to read and makes more sense.

Thanks.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Pregame
R and U meet with coaches. Check equipment, get doctor's note and inspect any casts if required. Check game balls.

Scrimmage Plays
Spot the ball. It's very, very rarely my spot. Looks to wings for their spot.
Count offense.
Set up approx. 5 yards from line of scrimmage. I usually favor my right side if it's a right-handed QB, left side for LH QB.
Stay away from TE if possible.
Talk to the R before the game to confirm primary keys on the line. I generally take the left guard, center, right guard and tackle.
Read line for pass or run.
For Pass:
Step up on pass.
Check for linemen downfield.
Watch for illegal blocks/holds.
Watch QB for passes beyond the line of scrimmage.
Watch to determine if a pass crosses the line of scrimmage or is behind the line.
For Runs:
Look for point of attack on runs.
Don't watch the runner on sweeps, watch for the blocks.
Dead ball officiate.
For Draw:
- PRAY!

Scrimmage Kicks:
Look for numbering exceptions.
Watch snapper.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: One little thing to add to waltjp's excellent summary: For pass, once a low trajectory pass goes over your head, spin and be ready to assist wings/back judge on catch/no catch for low passes--especially on hooks coming back toward QB. Make eye contact with the other offiicial. If he's coming back to the play without a clear ruling (usually can tell by the 'deer-in-the-headlight look), come in hard with your call. But give him the first shot at making that call.

Last edited by Bob M.; Fri Oct 13, 2006 at 08:29am.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

How about positioning on free kicks and scrimmage kicks? I can't find that anywhere.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Generally

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
How about positioning on free kicks and scrimmage kicks? I can't find that anywhere.
Different associations, different mechanics but in general on a 5 man crew the Umpire in a free kick situation is on the press box side at the 25 or 30-yard line of R. For a scrimmage kick the Umpire will shade to the Line Judge side, as the LJ will go downfield with the snap.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

You will rarely have to blow your whistle. Probably only for dead-ball false starts and those types of fouls or if B requests a time-out before the ball is snapped.

A common mistake that I see with umpires that just makes me cringe is when the runner is running, let's say, an off tackle play and he gets tackled with his back to the middle of the field and the umpire blows the whistle. If I'm on the wing and can see the ball and hear the whistle before I see the ball dead, we have a major problem because if the runner does fumble you have a sideline full of coaches and bleachers full of fans that can see a clear fumble after the whistle.

Free kicks...line up opposite the chains about the 20-30 yard line depending on what you've seen from the kicker. Be sure to watch initial blocks from BOTH teams...especially the contact at the "wedge." Only take the runner when he comes into your territory but you should still be watching the blocks in front of him at this point.

Scrimmage kicks...watch for roughing the snapper and after the ball is away, pivot and move slightly toward the LJ side of the field (he should release immediately with the snap). Be sure to watch the blocks on both teams as the players move down the field and then when the return is taking shape.

We have our umpire "punch" his fist across the goal-line to signal to the wings that we have a TD.

Bottom line is listen to your R's mechanics suggestions in the pre-game and just have fun.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Basic (5-man) Umpire mechanics

I also check for at least 5 players between 50-79 on the line at the snap and signal that the ball was tipped during a pass or scrimage kick.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
Free kicks at R's 20 on LJ side. Cheat toward Free kick line if On side is anticipated. Scrimmage kicks for FG, and tries are in normal position opposite WH. So in a situation that WH is on his left side of line for Right footed FG kicker U would be behind left side of D-Line, still 5 back, except on 2 point try, then try and stay near GL to help wings if question on in (I never signal though).

Punts you are in normal position opposite WH. I continue to watch the line play after a punt until most of the players move downfield past me for 2 reasons, 1) watch for any illegal blocks coming out of ENZ, and 2) to make sure I don't get run over by some lumbering lineman.

Most importantly on scrimmage kicks , punts and tries remind the R players that snapper is protected, and keep close watch on the line and the snapper. He is real vulnerable.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Minnesota Association mechanics for the PAT and field goals within the 15 yard line has the BJ and U go under the uprights. I personally prefer this method as it leaves the wing on the sideline to cover any sweeps to that corner, rather than the R or U trying to scramble out to that area to make a call.

As for everything else for 5-man mechanics, the U should be at the 20 on a standard kick-off, opposite the chains (check your Officials Manual).
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Three real quick things....
1- Holding is a discretionary call...If they are holding anywhere except the point of attack, unless it is a safety thing or a WWF move, it is not a foul.

2- Any running plays at you....freeze. Don't dance with the runner, that is how he is going to hit you. If you freeze, he will (LIKELY) pick a place that you arent. Although there are times you just got to get out of there.

3- I don't know if it is part of mechanical administration, but, take control of the offensive line. A very good college guy once told me..."if all you do is keep the line play clean...take care of the ball and make sure that you orchestrate the kneel downs properly, the rest of it takes care of itself.

I don't know if any of that helps. But I hope it does.
Old Sat Oct 14, 2006, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

As it turned out, someone else on the crew wanted to umpire at the last minute, so I ended up as the line judge, but thanks for everyone's input. I'll be ready the next time.