View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Basic (5-man) Umpire mechanics

I have to fill in on a 5-man sophomore crew tomorrow night at Umpire, where I've only spent one junior high game (2 years ago) and part of a scrimmage (this year).

Veteran umpires, what are the basics I need to know on plays from scrimmage (and kicks) so I can at least do the job and not look like a total idiot?

What I remember from having been taught and from watching others:
  • 5-7 yards off the LOS, hopefully behind the linebackers (which side do I favor, though, strong side? Weak side?);
  • Initial keys are the two guards and the center (because the wings have their respective tackles);
  • If you read pass, you'll have to step up and be ready to swivel on a short pass to either side. You also have LOS responsibilities if the passer threatens the line, or is that only in fewer than five man?
  • Get the ball back from wings if it's outside and spot ball;
  • Spot ball on runs up the middle with spot help from the wings if necessary;
  • March off penalties and re-spot ball;
  • Keep a towel handy in case of wet conditions that necessitate the ball being kept dry or dried off.
  • On goal line, don't signal touchdown, but signal (two crews I know say pull on your lanyard) to the wings that he's in so they can signal touchdown;

That's all I know. I'm clueless on kick mechanics as an umpire.

I know I can read this stuff in a manual, and I will, but the experience of my fellow officials is often easier to read and makes more sense.

Thanks.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.