The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 17, 2004, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

I realize it is probably a simple thing that I should know but here is my question.

Youth Football Game

The offensive team throws a backwards pass and the receiver completely misses it. The ball is lying on the ground. Can the defensive team pick up the ball and advance it?

Would the answer be the same if the receiver had touched the ball but not caught it?

Geoff
Old Sun Oct 17, 2004, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tycojohn
I realize it is probably a simple thing that I should know but here is my question.

Youth Football Game

The offensive team throws a backwards pass and the receiver completely misses it. The ball is lying on the ground. Can the defensive team pick up the ball and advance it?

Would the answer be the same if the receiver had touched the ball but not caught it?

Geoff
Yes and yes, its a live ball.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

It's a fumble.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 02:13am
Small Business Owner

See NFHS Rule 7-4-2

7-4-2...If a fumble or backward pas is caught or revoered by any player, he may advance.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Youth differences

Just to annoy everyone, I think I should point out that some youth leagues do not play standardized rules of NF or NCAA...
Under accepted rules the answers given are true, but for instance the leauge for the smallest players where I ref (7-10 years), ANY loose ball that touches the ground is a dead ball.
Either incomplete forward pass - ball returned to previous spot, or fumble/backwards pass - ball is dead at the spot it touched the ground.

They put it in to keep the little kids labelling each other as they were picking up the ball. There is also no return on kicks - R gets the ball where it is recovered, if it was caught, they get +5 yards.

James
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Re: See NFHS Rule 7-4-2

Quote:
Originally posted by KWH
7-4-2...If a fumble or backward pas is caught or revoered by any player, he may advance.
Also consider 4-2-2-e-2...the ball is dead if it "Is on the ground motionless and no player attempts to secure possession." Possession is retained by the team in possession.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 12:35am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by tycojohn

Youth Football Game

Geoff
Yes and yes... the ball is live and the spot of release of original pass should be bagged. We could have a potential last touched situation.