The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Using 5 man mechanics and NFHS rules, how do your crews handle the quick pass to a split end? Here is the play:

Team sets in a legal position wiht A1 under center (the QB) and A80 split out to right side, about 2 steps wider than the yard line numbers. A1 accepts a legal snap, come up turns right and throws a pass to A80 who has moved into a position to be just about even wiht A1.

Who on the crew makes the call if the ball is backwards or not? It is my contention (after covering the play and speaking to many senior officials) that it should be the opposite wing man to make the call. The wing man on the side of the pass can not get into position quick enough to make the call, but teh other side can step quick enough to be in line wiht A1 and either "punch the pass backwards wiht his arm extended in the direction of backwards" or just signal an incomplete pass if the pass hits the grounds and is not backwards.

How do your crews do it?
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow We make the HL responsible.

I know you asked for NFHS 5 man mechanics, but we use CCA 6 man for high school (and 7 man for state playoff games).

As soon as the LJ reads pass he moves 5 yards down field. The HL holds the line and is responsible for ruling whether the pass is forward or backward. The R can also assist with the call.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

It's the wing's call on the side that the ball goes to. His primary responsibility is that wideout. If he doesn't break downfield, he'll stay put. The other wing is downfield on a pass if his guy goes. If there is no one split out to his side, he'll drift there anyway after he reads his tackle key.

We have a mechanic which half the R's want and half don't where we 'punch' backward on a backward pass, the same as we would on an eligible off the line closest to us before the snap. The other half just lets the play go, no whistle and waits for everyone to catch on if there is a loose ball (the wideout drops it).

If the wideout takes off and the wing goes with him and, say, a slot guy steps back, the R has the call. The rule of thumb is that if its close, its an incomplete pass.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

We cover it similarly to AB's explanation above. With 4 and 5 man mechanics, we ask both wing men to have responsibilty for the call. That way, if one of them leaves the line, there's always one wing with the responsibilty. If neither wing has a clear call (not likely), the R will do his best.

We don't punch for a backwards pass. It's either a live ball (incomplete, let em play) or if forward, we blow it incomplete and sell it.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Our mechanic is the same as Mr. Boselli's. The more the QB drops back the more the responsibility belongs to the R. However, I had a situation where my LJ saved my butt. The QB dropped back several yards (thus my responsibility for backward passes). He threw the ball over my shoulder towards a receiver. Unfortunately, he was also under a big rush and I had to stay with him to rule on RP (there was none). When I was able to turn and look at direction of the pass, it was already on the ground, and it was unclear to me where it first touched the ground or where the receiver was when he first touched the pass (if he did at all). My LJ was johnny-on-the-spot and ruled it incomplete.
My pre games noe include this possibility that, even though its is primarly my call, there are situations where I will need help. We also ascribe to "when in doubt, foward and incomplete."
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Something that came up one time, not a likely scenario but it did happen. Usually on this play if the pass is caught we relax because now it doesn't matter whether it was forward or backwards. Except it still might be important. If this is part of a double pass play and B interferes with the second pass it becomes very important whether the first pass was forward or backward. Forward= no DPI, Backward= DPI.