The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Getting 2 pts. in college ball

Not so familiar with the college rules but I was watching a community college level game the other day and on a blocked extra point, B ran the ball 90 yards back for 2 points. Seems like A LOT of effort for just two points. A chip shot field goal goes for three, although kickers might have a different opinion of the term 'chip shot.'
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

They have not always had the chance to even get those 2 "meager" points since the rules used to not permit such a return for points. They are lucky to have that so I doubt most coaches would argue too strongly that it shoukd be worth more. Especially since it may be thier team that gets scored on and they sure don't want to let the defense gets many points in that scenario.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like it was 1988 when team-B was allowed to score points on a team-A TRY attempt.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Huh?? In NFHS, B has no points

becuas the ball is dead. Don't know the college rules that well, but if he runs 90 yds to his opponents end zone, if he gets ANY points, shouldn't it be 6??

I did see a doube OT game once where on the last play of the 2nd OT, B picks up a blocked FG attempt at the 1 foot line and runs it 99.5 yds to win the game. Now THAT was a worthwhile run.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack10
becuas the ball is dead. Don't know the college rules that well, but if he runs 90 yds to his opponents end zone, if he gets ANY points, shouldn't it be 6??

I did see a doube OT game once where on the last play of the 2nd OT, B picks up a blocked FG attempt at the 1 foot line and runs it 99.5 yds to win the game. Now THAT was a worthwhile run.
On a try, the "D" may score only two points. A field goal attempt is different.

Bob
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 12:26am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
No. the kicking team would not get six points if they made a conversion.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

Didn't know this rule

had changed in college. In my book B shouldn't ever be able to score ANY points as a result -- even indirectly -- of a touchdown by A. Seems as bizarre to me as allowing A to score a FG on a kickoff after a TD. But since my book isn't the NCAA rule book, my opinion doesn't mean jacksquat. Thanks for the explanation.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

I think that "B" can also score one point if "A" somehow gets a saftey on a try. This might be true in both NCAA & NFHS.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
had changed in college. In my book B shouldn't ever be able to score ANY points as a result -- even indirectly -- of a touchdown by A. Seems as bizarre to me as allowing A to score a FG on a kickoff after a TD. But since my book isn't the NCAA rule book, my opinion doesn't mean jacksquat. Thanks for the explanation.
Welcome to the 90's - this rule changed almost 20 years ago.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofanump
I think that "B" can also score one point if "A" somehow gets a saftey on a try. This might be true in both NCAA & NFHS.
And A can score 1 point if they get a safety on B as well. Happened in a Texas A&M game either last year or the year before, in fact.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofanump
REPLY: Not for NFHS...B can never score on a try by Team A under any circumstances. So, if by weird chance, A retreated 98 yards and downed the ball in his own endzone, the try is over and no points are scored. Likewise if he fumbled it in his own endzone and B jumped on it, try is over, no points scored.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Not for NFHS...B can never score on a try by Team A under any circumstances. So, if by weird chance, A retreated 98 yards and downed the ball in his own endzone, the try is over and no points are scored. Likewise if he fumbled it in his own endzone and B jumped on it, try is over, no points scored.
I know you meant except in Oregon for at least this season.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 08:15pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Amateur: once B secures possession, the try is over.
Professional: B can score 2 points with a TD.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

The first game ever decided by a defensive try.

1991 Kansas State vs. Indiana State

Indiana State scores a touchdown late in the 4th quarter to take a 25-24 lead. They know they need to go for two to get up by three points. On a roll-out pass to the right the Indiana State quarterback is intercepted by T Price who proceeds to return the interception about 104 yards for a score. Kansas State is flagged for excessive celebration and after the score Indiana State has to kick off from the 50. They recover the on-side kick but are held without a first down. Kansas State wins 26-25.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 03:19pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenkicker
The first game ever decided by a defensive try.

1991 Kansas State vs. Indiana State

Indiana State scores a touchdown late in the 4th quarter to take a 25-24 lead. They know they need to go for two to get up by three points. On a roll-out pass to the right the Indiana State quarterback is intercepted by T Price who proceeds to return the interception about 104 yards for a score. Kansas State is flagged for excessive celebration and after the score Indiana State has to kick off from the 50. They recover the on-side kick but are held without a first down. Kansas State wins 26-25.
This play happens in the CFL every now and again.