The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Getting 2 pts. in college ball (https://forum.officiating.com/football/28635-getting-2-pts-college-ball.html)

buckrog64 Mon Oct 02, 2006 05:21pm

Getting 2 pts. in college ball

Not so familiar with the college rules but I was watching a community college level game the other day and on a blocked extra point, B ran the ball 90 yards back for 2 points. Seems like A LOT of effort for just two points. A chip shot field goal goes for three, although kickers might have a different opinion of the term 'chip shot.'

TXMike Mon Oct 02, 2006 05:51pm

They have not always had the chance to even get those 2 "meager" points since the rules used to not permit such a return for points. They are lucky to have that so I doubt most coaches would argue too strongly that it shoukd be worth more. Especially since it may be thier team that gets scored on and they sure don't want to let the defense gets many points in that scenario.

Theisey Mon Oct 02, 2006 07:52pm

Looks like it was 1988 when team-B was allowed to score points on a team-A TRY attempt.

Mack10 Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:12pm

Huh?? In NFHS, B has no points

becuas the ball is dead. Don't know the college rules that well, but if he runs 90 yds to his opponents end zone, if he gets ANY points, shouldn't it be 6??

I did see a doube OT game once where on the last play of the 2nd OT, B picks up a blocked FG attempt at the 1 foot line and runs it 99.5 yds to win the game. Now THAT was a worthwhile run.

bluezebra Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mack10
becuas the ball is dead. Don't know the college rules that well, but if he runs 90 yds to his opponents end zone, if he gets ANY points, shouldn't it be 6??

I did see a doube OT game once where on the last play of the 2nd OT, B picks up a blocked FG attempt at the 1 foot line and runs it 99.5 yds to win the game. Now THAT was a worthwhile run.

On a try, the "D" may score only two points. A field goal attempt is different.

Bob

JRutledge Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:26am

Quote:

No. the kicking team would not get six points if they made a conversion.

Peace

Mack10 Tue Oct 03, 2006 06:15am

Didn't know this rule

had changed in college. In my book B shouldn't ever be able to score ANY points as a result -- even indirectly -- of a touchdown by A. Seems as bizarre to me as allowing A to score a FG on a kickoff after a TD. But since my book isn't the NCAA rule book, my opinion doesn't mean jacksquat. Thanks for the explanation.

Sonofanump Tue Oct 03, 2006 07:07am

I think that "B" can also score one point if "A" somehow gets a saftey on a try. This might be true in both NCAA & NFHS.

mcrowder Tue Oct 03, 2006 08:05am

Quote:

had changed in college. In my book B shouldn't ever be able to score ANY points as a result -- even indirectly -- of a touchdown by A. Seems as bizarre to me as allowing A to score a FG on a kickoff after a TD. But since my book isn't the NCAA rule book, my opinion doesn't mean jacksquat. Thanks for the explanation.

Welcome to the 90's - this rule changed almost 20 years ago.

mcrowder Tue Oct 03, 2006 08:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofanump
I think that "B" can also score one point if "A" somehow gets a saftey on a try. This might be true in both NCAA & NFHS.

And A can score 1 point if they get a safety on B as well. Happened in a Texas A&M game either last year or the year before, in fact.

Bob M. Tue Oct 03, 2006 09:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofanump

REPLY: Not for NFHS...B can never score on a try by Team A under any circumstances. So, if by weird chance, A retreated 98 yards and downed the ball in his own endzone, the try is over and no points are scored. Likewise if he fumbled it in his own endzone and B jumped on it, try is over, no points scored.

Theisey Tue Oct 03, 2006 01:09pm

:D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Not for NFHS...B can never score on a try by Team A under any circumstances. So, if by weird chance, A retreated 98 yards and downed the ball in his own endzone, the try is over and no points are scored. Likewise if he fumbled it in his own endzone and B jumped on it, try is over, no points scored.

I know you meant except in Oregon for at least this season.:D

JugglingReferee Tue Oct 03, 2006 08:15pm

Canadian Ruling

Amateur: once B secures possession, the try is over.
Professional: B can score 2 points with a TD.

Warrenkicker Wed Oct 04, 2006 08:30am

The first game ever decided by a defensive try.

1991 Kansas State vs. Indiana State

Indiana State scores a touchdown late in the 4th quarter to take a 25-24 lead. They know they need to go for two to get up by three points. On a roll-out pass to the right the Indiana State quarterback is intercepted by T Price who proceeds to return the interception about 104 yards for a score. Kansas State is flagged for excessive celebration and after the score Indiana State has to kick off from the 50. They recover the on-side kick but are held without a first down. Kansas State wins 26-25.

JugglingReferee Wed Oct 04, 2006 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrenkicker
The first game ever decided by a defensive try.

1991 Kansas State vs. Indiana State

Indiana State scores a touchdown late in the 4th quarter to take a 25-24 lead. They know they need to go for two to get up by three points. On a roll-out pass to the right the Indiana State quarterback is intercepted by T Price who proceeds to return the interception about 104 yards for a score. Kansas State is flagged for excessive celebration and after the score Indiana State has to kick off from the 50. They recover the on-side kick but are held without a first down. Kansas State wins 26-25.

This play happens in the CFL every now and again.