The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Lightbulb

Just wonder how many college officials are in this forum, especially on the east coast???
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Just wonder how many college officials are in this forum, especially on the east coast???
Small college (NAIA)
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I've been known to screw up a D3 game every now and then.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 04:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am currently on a staff where we work NAIA and JUCO Men's ball.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 04:09pm
Huck Finn

I've been on staff at every level and been on the court on every level except one.
This is a funny/frustrating game - and I'm not talking about the game on the court!
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

I do women's D3, NAIA, and JUCO.

And I'm east of the Mississippi. Does that count as east coast?

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
I do women's D3, NAIA, and JUCO.

And I'm east of the Mississippi. Does that count as east coast?
Sure if you live in Denver.

btw...tomegun said he's on a staff that apparently doesn't give him games, and I've seen some others post here about being on a development staff or development program or whatever.

What's the sense of "being on staff" if you don't get assignments? Doesn't it merely entitle you to pay dues, attend a camp & go to a pre-season meeting?

bwt2...Chuck is entirely too modest, imo. He's been known to screw up more than the occasional D3 game in his time.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 04:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

btw...tomegun said he's on a staff that apparently doesn't give him games, and I've seen some others post here about being on a development staff or development program or whatever.

What's the sense of "being on staff" if you don't get assignments? Doesn't it merely entitle you to pay dues, attend a camp & go to a pre-season meeting?
I would assume that you are in the pipeline. When someone gets fired, retires or gets hurt I am sure they are then next guys in line. Now it might be a long list, but that is better than being completely on the outside looking in.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 04:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
I've been on staff at every level and been on the court on every level except one.
This is a funny/frustrating game - and I'm not talking about the game on the court!
Play the game, pardner. Don't let it get to you.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

I would assume that you are in the pipeline. When someone gets fired, retires or gets hurt I am sure they are then next guys in line. Now it might be a long list, but that is better than being completely on the outside looking in.

Peace
Yeah, I suppose, but you would think getting 1 or 2 early season tune ups against a D3 or D2 team wouldn't be out of the question.

Maybe that's the problem, the list is too long to do something for everyone...and it takes money out of the "regular" guys pockets too.

Anyway, just wonderin' is all.

Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 05:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think Tommy can answer for himself on this issue. I just know I would not mind if I was in the pipeline and listed on a staff, than not working any games and not being on the list in any capacity. Now in my area of the country there is not such animal that I am aware of. Either you are on the Associate staff (which means you are probably working at least one or two non-conference games) or you are a full staff member where you are working conference games on a regular basis. I know the Big Ten got rid of like 15-20 officials last year just because they did not work in any other conferences. College officiating is so doggy-dog that I would not mind being in Tommy's position.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

I've been fortunate to get some D-III women's games this year. I have a few under my belt so far. Also fortunately, I've had gracious, helpful partners. There is so much to learn!
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

I am on JUCO staff & plus a couple of D3 staffs.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

I recently got picked up in a D3 conference on the East Coast.

Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I think Tommy can answer for himself on this issue. I just know I would not mind if I was in the pipeline and listed on a staff, than not working any games and not being on the list in any capacity. Now in my area of the country there is not such animal that I am aware of. Either you are on the Associate staff (which means you are probably working at least one or two non-conference games) or you are a full staff member where you are working conference games on a regular basis. I know the Big Ten got rid of like 15-20 officials last year just because they did not work in any other conferences. College officiating is so doggy-dog that I would not mind being in Tommy's position.

Peace
This isn't about your position, or Tommy's position, or my position ar anyone else's position.

It's about the system.

Imagine going for a job interview & leaving with the understanding that you're "on staff"...all you have to do is pay for & attend a 4 day class once per year, hop on a plane & show up at a meeting or 2 per year, pay some dues, and wait for someone to retire before you actually have a chance to make money by being on this staff. Of course this is such a great job that waiting for someone to retire actually means waiting for someone to die.

How long before you ask "Are you f@cking nuts???"