The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 323
Getting 2 pts. in college ball

Not so familiar with the college rules but I was watching a community college level game the other day and on a blocked extra point, B ran the ball 90 yards back for 2 points. Seems like A LOT of effort for just two points. A chip shot field goal goes for three, although kickers might have a different opinion of the term 'chip shot.'
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,305
They have not always had the chance to even get those 2 "meager" points since the rules used to not permit such a return for points. They are lucky to have that so I doubt most coaches would argue too strongly that it shoukd be worth more. Especially since it may be thier team that gets scored on and they sure don't want to let the defense gets many points in that scenario.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 1,464
Looks like it was 1988 when team-B was allowed to score points on a team-A TRY attempt.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7
Huh?? In NFHS, B has no points

becuas the ball is dead. Don't know the college rules that well, but if he runs 90 yds to his opponents end zone, if he gets ANY points, shouldn't it be 6??

I did see a doube OT game once where on the last play of the 2nd OT, B picks up a blocked FG attempt at the 1 foot line and runs it 99.5 yds to win the game. Now THAT was a worthwhile run.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack10
becuas the ball is dead. Don't know the college rules that well, but if he runs 90 yds to his opponents end zone, if he gets ANY points, shouldn't it be 6??

I did see a doube OT game once where on the last play of the 2nd OT, B picks up a blocked FG attempt at the 1 foot line and runs it 99.5 yds to win the game. Now THAT was a worthwhile run.
On a try, the "D" may score only two points. A field goal attempt is different.

Bob
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 12:26am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack10
becuas the ball is dead. Don't know the college rules that well, but if he runs 90 yds to his opponents end zone, if he gets ANY points, shouldn't it be 6??
No. the kicking team would not get six points if they made a conversion.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 06:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7
Didn't know this rule

had changed in college. In my book B shouldn't ever be able to score ANY points as a result -- even indirectly -- of a touchdown by A. Seems as bizarre to me as allowing A to score a FG on a kickoff after a TD. But since my book isn't the NCAA rule book, my opinion doesn't mean jacksquat. Thanks for the explanation.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 07:07am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 289
I think that "B" can also score one point if "A" somehow gets a saftey on a try. This might be true in both NCAA & NFHS.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 08:05am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Little Elm, TX (NW Dallas)
Posts: 4,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack10
had changed in college. In my book B shouldn't ever be able to score ANY points as a result -- even indirectly -- of a touchdown by A. Seems as bizarre to me as allowing A to score a FG on a kickoff after a TD. But since my book isn't the NCAA rule book, my opinion doesn't mean jacksquat. Thanks for the explanation.
Welcome to the 90's - this rule changed almost 20 years ago.
__________________
"Many baseball fans look upon an umpire as a sort of necessary evil to the luxury of baseball, like the odor that follows an automobile." - Hall of Fame Pitcher Christy Mathewson
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 08:06am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Little Elm, TX (NW Dallas)
Posts: 4,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofanump
I think that "B" can also score one point if "A" somehow gets a saftey on a try. This might be true in both NCAA & NFHS.
And A can score 1 point if they get a safety on B as well. Happened in a Texas A&M game either last year or the year before, in fact.
__________________
"Many baseball fans look upon an umpire as a sort of necessary evil to the luxury of baseball, like the odor that follows an automobile." - Hall of Fame Pitcher Christy Mathewson
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 09:51am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Clinton Township, NJ
Posts: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofanump
I think that "B" can also score one point if "A" somehow gets a saftey on a try. This might be true in both NCAA & NFHS.
REPLY: Not for NFHS...B can never score on a try by Team A under any circumstances. So, if by weird chance, A retreated 98 yards and downed the ball in his own endzone, the try is over and no points are scored. Likewise if he fumbled it in his own endzone and B jumped on it, try is over, no points scored.
__________________
Bob M.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Not for NFHS...B can never score on a try by Team A under any circumstances. So, if by weird chance, A retreated 98 yards and downed the ball in his own endzone, the try is over and no points are scored. Likewise if he fumbled it in his own endzone and B jumped on it, try is over, no points scored.
I know you meant except in Oregon for at least this season.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 08:15pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Near Dog River (sorta)
Posts: 8,557
Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Amateur: once B secures possession, the try is over.
Professional: B can score 2 points with a TD.
__________________
Pope Francis
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 08:30am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 945
The first game ever decided by a defensive try.

1991 Kansas State vs. Indiana State

Indiana State scores a touchdown late in the 4th quarter to take a 25-24 lead. They know they need to go for two to get up by three points. On a roll-out pass to the right the Indiana State quarterback is intercepted by T Price who proceeds to return the interception about 104 yards for a score. Kansas State is flagged for excessive celebration and after the score Indiana State has to kick off from the 50. They recover the on-side kick but are held without a first down. Kansas State wins 26-25.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 03:19pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Near Dog River (sorta)
Posts: 8,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenkicker
The first game ever decided by a defensive try.

1991 Kansas State vs. Indiana State

Indiana State scores a touchdown late in the 4th quarter to take a 25-24 lead. They know they need to go for two to get up by three points. On a roll-out pass to the right the Indiana State quarterback is intercepted by T Price who proceeds to return the interception about 104 yards for a score. Kansas State is flagged for excessive celebration and after the score Indiana State has to kick off from the 50. They recover the on-side kick but are held without a first down. Kansas State wins 26-25.
This play happens in the CFL every now and again.
__________________
Pope Francis
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help for college footlocker Basketball 33 Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:20am
College Officials IREFU2 Basketball 30 Fri Dec 02, 2005 01:26pm
College Rules sm_bbcoach Football 4 Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:42am
College Ball brandan89 Basketball 17 Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:27pm
College Oz Referee Basketball 9 Sun Dec 16, 2001 05:49pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1