The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 225
Pass Interference?

Looking for some general opinions. I've been officiating for about 5 years now, so I'm getting a pretty good feel for most aspects of officiating. But IMO, pass interference is one of the toughest calls we make. I'll try to describe a play I had today (middle school).

Team A runs a reverse, and the guy getting the ball pulls up to pass. He has a WR wide open about 40 yards down field. He heaves it as far as he can, but obviously doesn't have the arm to enable the WR to keep running his route. So the WR is standing there waiting on it. The DB was probably 15 yards in front of the WR and starts stumbling back toward the WR, the whole time looking back at the ball. He gets to the WR about a second before the ball. They both sort of stumble together, feet tangled, both looking up for the ball. They both fall, incomplete pass. I rule no foul, incidental contact. Of course, crowd, coaches, etc. go nuts.

I'm sure one could have the opinion that it was the defender who initiated the contact. But he didn't run through the guy, and they were both playing the ball. Again, just looking for some general opinions/philosophies on PI.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: N.D.
Posts: 1,829
nuttin honey

Feet tangled while both playing the ball, I've got nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
Feet tangled while both playing the ball, I've got nothing.
Agreed. Need more than that.
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenOfNC
Looking for some general opinions. I've been officiating for about 5 years now, so I'm getting a pretty good feel for most aspects of officiating. But IMO, pass interference is one of the toughest calls we make. I'll try to describe a play I had today (middle school).

Team A runs a reverse, and the guy getting the ball pulls up to pass. He has a WR wide open about 40 yards down field. He heaves it as far as he can, but obviously doesn't have the arm to enable the WR to keep running his route. So the WR is standing there waiting on it. The DB was probably 15 yards in front of the WR and starts stumbling back toward the WR, the whole time looking back at the ball. He gets to the WR about a second before the ball. They both sort of stumble together, feet tangled, both looking up for the ball. They both fall, incomplete pass. I rule no foul, incidental contact. Of course, crowd, coaches, etc. go nuts.

I'm sure one could have the opinion that it was the defender who initiated the contact. But he didn't run through the guy, and they were both playing the ball. Again, just looking for some general opinions/philosophies on PI.
From your description, without seeing it, I got nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 05:25am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Racine, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenOfNC
Looking for some general opinions. I've been officiating for about 5 years now, so I'm getting a pretty good feel for most aspects of officiating. But IMO, pass interference is one of the toughest calls we make. I'll try to describe a play I had today (middle school).

Team A runs a reverse, and the guy getting the ball pulls up to pass. He has a WR wide open about 40 yards down field. He heaves it as far as he can, but obviously doesn't have the arm to enable the WR to keep running his route. So the WR is standing there waiting on it. The DB was probably 15 yards in front of the WR and starts stumbling back toward the WR, the whole time looking back at the ball. He gets to the WR about a second before the ball. They both sort of stumble together, feet tangled, both looking up for the ball. They both fall, incomplete pass. I rule no foul, incidental contact. Of course, crowd, coaches, etc. go nuts.

I'm sure one could have the opinion that it was the defender who initiated the contact. But he didn't run through the guy, and they were both playing the ball. Again, just looking for some general opinions/philosophies on PI.
I usually look at the type of pass it was, this was a very poorly thrown ball basically putting it up for grabs, no foul.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 11:40am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 122
Good no call. incidental contact.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
I usually look at the type of pass it was, this was a very poorly thrown ball basically putting it up for grabs, no foul.
Under NFHS rules, how poorly the ball was thrown has no bearing on PI. There is no "catchable ball" rule in NFHS.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 170
Also, if the WR was stationary (if I'm reading the post correctly) then he's got a right to that patch of turf. If he was stationary and they both go up for the ball, then it's free game. But if he's planted on his feet, then I'll let a little contact go on the part of the defender if he's going up for the ball because he too has a right to the ball, but he's got to do it with no more than incidental contact.

I still don't understand how their feet could've gotten tangled if the WR was standing still, but again maybe I'm reading it wrong.

That being said, a good rule of thumb for PI is that it almost always occurs above the waist. Tangling of feet is always a good no call unless you can clearly judge intent.

Also, I'd much rather have no flag for a borderline PI, then a flag for a borderline non-PI anyday.....
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 11:24am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 508
A rule to live by

I recently attended a meeting with an NCAA official where he stated something that may seem overly obvious, but is a good thing to remember: pass interference does not occur below the waist.

I am sure that there are some crazy examples where it could happen (like tripping, etc), but 99% of the time, if contact occurs below the waist then it is a no call. To me, this difference helps make PI much easier to define.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 126
Send a message via AIM to FootballRef05
I had this play a week or so ago in a 7-7 varsity game with seconds left. A has the ball 3 and 7 from their 36. The ball is thrown over the middle, the receiver is running his route. He is looking for the ball, defender is beaten 2 yards behind the receiver. Another defensive player steps into the receivers route and stands there. The receiver runs right into the stationary defender, ball falls incomplete.....
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 170
What did you have?
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 126
Send a message via AIM to FootballRef05
I was the J, the back judge without hesitation called DPI.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Little Elm, TX (NW Dallas)
Posts: 4,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballRef05
I had this play a week or so ago in a 7-7 varsity game with seconds left. A has the ball 3 and 7 from their 36. The ball is thrown over the middle, the receiver is running his route. He is looking for the ball, defender is beaten 2 yards behind the receiver. Another defensive player steps into the receivers route and stands there. The receiver runs right into the stationary defender, ball falls incomplete.....
Was he standing in the receiver's route ... or was he standing in his route, but where the ball was coming?
__________________
"Many baseball fans look upon an umpire as a sort of necessary evil to the luxury of baseball, like the odor that follows an automobile." - Hall of Fame Pitcher Christy Mathewson
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 126
Send a message via AIM to FootballRef05
He stepped into the route, ball was coming down, receiver was already looking back for the ball, never saw the player in his way.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:56pm
Esteemed Participant
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 4,775
Question then...slot receiver runs a 5-7 yard down-and-out pattern...outside linebacker reads the play, but as he makes his cut slips and falls to the ground. Receiver ends up tripping over linebacker (he's looking back for the ball and doesn't see linebacker go down)...DPI or Incidental?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pass Interference ref49873 Football 18 Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:23pm
4th down pass interference timharris Football 6 Tue Sep 06, 2005 08:59am
Pass Interference jeffb Football 8 Tue Sep 07, 2004 08:38am
Pass Interference on an Illegal Forward Pass OverAndBack Football 8 Mon Aug 23, 2004 03:11pm
Pass Interference Ricejock Football 2 Sun Sep 22, 2002 04:28pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1