The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Pass Interference? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/28685-pass-interference.html)

ChickenOfNC Wed Oct 04, 2006 07:40pm

Pass Interference?

Looking for some general opinions. I've been officiating for about 5 years now, so I'm getting a pretty good feel for most aspects of officiating. But IMO, pass interference is one of the toughest calls we make. I'll try to describe a play I had today (middle school).

Team A runs a reverse, and the guy getting the ball pulls up to pass. He has a WR wide open about 40 yards down field. He heaves it as far as he can, but obviously doesn't have the arm to enable the WR to keep running his route. So the WR is standing there waiting on it. The DB was probably 15 yards in front of the WR and starts stumbling back toward the WR, the whole time looking back at the ball. He gets to the WR about a second before the ball. They both sort of stumble together, feet tangled, both looking up for the ball. They both fall, incomplete pass. I rule no foul, incidental contact. Of course, crowd, coaches, etc. go nuts.

I'm sure one could have the opinion that it was the defender who initiated the contact. But he didn't run through the guy, and they were both playing the ball. Again, just looking for some general opinions/philosophies on PI.

Forksref Wed Oct 04, 2006 08:43pm

nuttin honey

Feet tangled while both playing the ball, I've got nothing.

BktBallRef Wed Oct 04, 2006 09:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forksref
Feet tangled while both playing the ball, I've got nothing.

Agreed. Need more than that.

Ref inSoCA Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenOfNC
Looking for some general opinions. I've been officiating for about 5 years now, so I'm getting a pretty good feel for most aspects of officiating. But IMO, pass interference is one of the toughest calls we make. I'll try to describe a play I had today (middle school).

Team A runs a reverse, and the guy getting the ball pulls up to pass. He has a WR wide open about 40 yards down field. He heaves it as far as he can, but obviously doesn't have the arm to enable the WR to keep running his route. So the WR is standing there waiting on it. The DB was probably 15 yards in front of the WR and starts stumbling back toward the WR, the whole time looking back at the ball. He gets to the WR about a second before the ball. They both sort of stumble together, feet tangled, both looking up for the ball. They both fall, incomplete pass. I rule no foul, incidental contact. Of course, crowd, coaches, etc. go nuts.

I'm sure one could have the opinion that it was the defender who initiated the contact. But he didn't run through the guy, and they were both playing the ball. Again, just looking for some general opinions/philosophies on PI.

From your description, without seeing it, I got nothing.

GoodwillRef Thu Oct 05, 2006 05:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenOfNC

I usually look at the type of pass it was, this was a very poorly thrown ball basically putting it up for grabs, no foul.

booker227 Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:40am

Good no call. incidental contact.

WhistlesAndStripes Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
I usually look at the type of pass it was, this was a very poorly thrown ball basically putting it up for grabs, no foul.

Under NFHS rules, how poorly the ball was thrown has no bearing on PI. There is no "catchable ball" rule in NFHS.

DJ_NV Thu Oct 05, 2006 01:20pm

Also, if the WR was stationary (if I'm reading the post correctly) then he's got a right to that patch of turf. If he was stationary and they both go up for the ball, then it's free game. But if he's planted on his feet, then I'll let a little contact go on the part of the defender if he's going up for the ball because he too has a right to the ball, but he's got to do it with no more than incidental contact.

I still don't understand how their feet could've gotten tangled if the WR was standing still, but again maybe I'm reading it wrong.

That being said, a good rule of thumb for PI is that it almost always occurs above the waist. Tangling of feet is always a good no call unless you can clearly judge intent.

Also, I'd much rather have no flag for a borderline PI, then a flag for a borderline non-PI anyday.....

parepat Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:24am

A rule to live by

I recently attended a meeting with an NCAA official where he stated something that may seem overly obvious, but is a good thing to remember: pass interference does not occur below the waist.

I am sure that there are some crazy examples where it could happen (like tripping, etc), but 99% of the time, if contact occurs below the waist then it is a no call. To me, this difference helps make PI much easier to define.

FootballRef05 Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:29pm

I had this play a week or so ago in a 7-7 varsity game with seconds left. A has the ball 3 and 7 from their 36. The ball is thrown over the middle, the receiver is running his route. He is looking for the ball, defender is beaten 2 yards behind the receiver. Another defensive player steps into the receivers route and stands there. The receiver runs right into the stationary defender, ball falls incomplete.....

DJ_NV Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:33pm

What did you have?

FootballRef05 Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:34pm

I was the J, the back judge without hesitation called DPI.

mcrowder Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FootballRef05
I had this play a week or so ago in a 7-7 varsity game with seconds left. A has the ball 3 and 7 from their 36. The ball is thrown over the middle, the receiver is running his route. He is looking for the ball, defender is beaten 2 yards behind the receiver. Another defensive player steps into the receivers route and stands there. The receiver runs right into the stationary defender, ball falls incomplete.....

Was he standing in the receiver's route ... or was he standing in his route, but where the ball was coming?

FootballRef05 Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:51pm

He stepped into the route, ball was coming down, receiver was already looking back for the ball, never saw the player in his way.

rockyroad Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:56pm

Question then...slot receiver runs a 5-7 yard down-and-out pattern...outside linebacker reads the play, but as he makes his cut slips and falls to the ground. Receiver ends up tripping over linebacker (he's looking back for the ball and doesn't see linebacker go down)...DPI or Incidental?