The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Pass Interference

Would you call DPI on a defensive player whi wile making a break on the pass, cuts in front of the waiting receiver, but in doing so makes some light contact with the offensive player as the ball arrives.

Had a very close call in my game last week and just looking for other views on this situation.

Thanks.
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
No. Both the defender and receiver have equal right to the ball in flight. If the defender is making a legit attempt to get to the ball witout restricting the receiver the contact should be ignored.

Editted to add - moving in front of the receiver should not be confused with going through the receiver.
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: The term 'incidental contact' is frequently used. It does not mean insignificant contact. Incidental contact can be quite severe. What it does mean is contact 'associated with' a player's attempt to move toward or catch the pass. In the play you described, the contact was incidental. It should be ignored.
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

If the defender is legitimately playing the ball, then I tend to give him (and the offensive player with regards to OPI) a lot more latitude than I would if the player is not looking for the ball--though OPI happens quite frequently with a push-off by a receiver while looking back, so it's more of a guideline for Team B. Yes the defender has an equal right to the ball, but not at the expense of signficant physical contact with the receiver who has established position.

Personally, I would rather have a no call that should've been flagged than have a flag for being too overly-technical. It took me awhile to learn, but if you have to think about it, then it wasn't there. True PI will scream at you. If you're second-guessing yourself if PI was there or not and you didn't have a flag, then chances are pretty good that you had a good no-call. A close call is most likely no call.

Just remember, hands on mean nothing. Ask yourself, what did he do with his hands?

Also, PI almost always occurs from the waist up.

Just my .02
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 03:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

No. The reasons stated above explain my reason.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Had an assistant in a junior high game today chirp about what he thought was a DPI call (and which I thought was incidental contact) and not let it go. Demanded an explanation at halftime, said "How could you not call that?" I said, "Coach, I didn't see it that way."

That didn't appease him for some reason.

My partner, a state finals official, made it clear that he'd gotten his explanation and as he'd been chirping the whole first half, that any more would have him watching the second half from the bus through binoculars.

In any case, I just read a good pass interference article in the latest Officials Quarterly. It specifically said, "Incidental contact is never pass interference." It's a good read, if you get OQ.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 10:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
Had an assistant in a junior high game today chirp about what he thought was a DPI call (and which I thought was incidental contact) and not let it go. Demanded an explanation at halftime, said "How could you not call that?" I said, "Coach, I didn't see it that way."

That didn't appease him for some reason.

My partner, a state finals official, made it clear that he'd gotten his explanation and as he'd been chirping the whole first half, that any more would have him watching the second half from the bus through binoculars.

In any case, I just read a good pass interference article in the latest Officials Quarterly. It specifically said, "Incidental contact is never pass interference." It's a good read, if you get OQ.
Good advice, balanced by the stupid advice to put white tape on the ball of a flag cause, God forbid, people may see that you have a flag on your belt. Sheesh.
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I kind of disregarded that little bit of advice.

Officials have flags. Who knew?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 09:37am
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Good advice, balanced by the stupid advice to put white tape on the ball of a flag cause, God forbid, people may see that you have a flag on your belt. Sheesh.
I know, I know, off topic. But I don't see a problem with wrapping the ball of the flag.

I wrap the ball of my flag in white tape. I've always thought the SEC officials looked a little unprofessional all those years with the yellow flag hanging out of their back pocket (nice to see them tucked away now). Just always struck me as odd to have a black and white uniform, broken by a yellow speck.
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
After reading the article I realized that I've been throwing my flag incorrectly for years.
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
After reading the article I realized that I've been throwing my flag incorrectly for years.
Please explain....
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Jagger
Please explain....
The article in OQ states:

When throwing the flag, the official does not want to grat the flag by the weighted end. ... The flag should be thrown by the tail in a whipping motion casting the weighted head toward the target.
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
The article in OQ states:

When throwing the flag, the official does not want to grat the flag by the weighted end. ... The flag should be thrown by the tail in a whipping motion casting the weighted head toward the target.
REPLY: Personally, I think that's a great way to make the flag go anywhere but toward the intended target. Also in this article, believe that the author suggests that on defensive fouls, we always "sky" the flag rather than throw it to the spot, since the spot of the foul will never figure into enforcement. I've not seen it done that way. Anyone else? I think it's still important to throw the flag toward the spot of the foul if for no other reason but to let everyone know what we saw as the foul.
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Working as the U I'm not throwing too many flags for great distance. It's usually just an underhanded toss to mark the spot near the LOS. If I have a false start or other dead ball foul I'll "sky" the flag.
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 09:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy
I know, I know, off topic. But I don't see a problem with wrapping the ball of the flag.

I wrap the ball of my flag in white tape. I've always thought the SEC officials looked a little unprofessional all those years with the yellow flag hanging out of their back pocket (nice to see them tucked away now). Just always struck me as odd to have a black and white uniform, broken by a yellow speck.
I wear my flag on my belt. A little yellow ball sticking out doesn't imply anything except that, yes, I do carry a flag.

I carry a center-weighted flag in my back pocket. I call it my USC flag, since that's the only time I've ever had to pull it out (after throwing another flag).