The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Can someone clear up pass interference for me, using IHSA rules. Is there a five yard rule, can a defender knock a rec. down 15 yds down field if the ball is not in the air??
One last quest. a coah yelled to a player to not let the rec. leave the line he said flatten him on the line...a Ref heard this and said if the def "flattens" the rec. legally or not he will throw out the player and the coach who told him to do so...can he do this??
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 10:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffb
Can someone clear up pass interference for me, using IHSA rules.
There is no such thing as IHSA Rules. The IHSA is a member of the National Federation and use National Federation Rules and guidelines.

Quote:
Is there a five yard rule, can a defender knock a rec. down 15 yds down field if the ball is not in the air?? One last quest. a coah yelled to a player to not let the rec. leave the line he said flatten him on the line...a Ref heard this and said if the def "flattens" the rec. legally or not he will throw out the player and the coach who told him to do so...can he do this??
In NF Rules there is no 5 yard contact area like the NFL. The rule basically says that when the receiver is no longer a potential blocker, they cannot be contacted in a way to impede their progress. That could be a yard off the ball or 15 yards off the ball if that is where the contact takes place.

So if a receiver is not trying to block a defender, the defender does not have the right to push him down or out of the way. That would be an "illegal use of hands" or "holding" penalty.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Can someone clear up pass interference for me, using IHSA rules. Is there a five yard rule, can a defender knock a rec. down 15 yds down field if the ball is not in the air??
One last quest. a coah yelled to a player to not let the rec. leave the line he said flatten him on the line...a Ref heard this and said if the def "flattens" the rec. legally or not he will throw out the player and the coach who told him to do so...can he do this??
The IHSA uses NFHS rules (used by 48 of the 50 states).

If this is in regards to a play, we weren't there, so we can't say if a call was good or bad.

By Rule:
There is no 5-yard zone under the rules for high school or college football. The rule simply states that once the receiver is no longer a potential blocker he may not be contacted. This is interpretted to mean that once the receiver is beside (at the same yard line as) or beyond the defender, the defender cannot contact the receiver. Whether or not this is within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage is immaterial. Once the pass is in the air, NEITHER opponent may contact each other.

As far as knocking the receiver down, as long as it isn't PI, an illegal block, or a personal foul, it is legal.

Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

We had a "spirited discussion" on this in our pregame between myself (LJ), the Linesman, and the Backjudge last Friday. The Backjudge (who did a very good job) stated that the defender could do whatever he wanted (barring the obvious) as long as the pass wasn't in the air. The Linesman and I, were in agreeance that once the receiver has made his move and is obviously going out on his pass route, that he is no longer a potential blocker and shouldn't be hit, regardless if the ball is in the air. I'm still of the same opinion, but we weren't able to convince our Backjudge.....
Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 03:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Simbio
We had a "spirited discussion" on this in our pregame between myself (LJ), the Linesman, and the Backjudge last Friday. The Backjudge (who did a very good job) stated that the defender could do whatever he wanted (barring the obvious) as long as the pass wasn't in the air. The Linesman and I, were in agreeance that once the receiver has made his move and is obviously going out on his pass route, that he is no longer a potential blocker and shouldn't be hit, regardless if the ball is in the air. I'm still of the same opinion, but we weren't able to convince our Backjudge.....
Hi Simbio,

Just because the receiver has broken into a pass route can you be sure he won't block?
I'm thinking specifically of a delayed outside run. The receiver runs a 5 in pattern - cutting hard infield. It is an obvious pass route, the QB has his arm up, then the QB scrambles outside (or pitches to a runner).
Meanwhile the R blocks down on the OL or S?

I have played TE on draw plays where I do a 8 yard hook then continue the hook as a pivot and blow through the guy covering me (draw in the middle).

There are time when the D (and us as well) will not know if it is a pass or run until the ball is in the air/has crossed the LOS.

James
Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Even though the Fed and NCAA rules are interpreted identically, the NCAA does a better job in defining when it's "hands off" for the defender. They say: "Defensive players may ward off or legally block an eligible pass receiver until that player occupies the same yard line as the defender or until the opponent could not possibly block him. Continuous contact is illegal."

I think the pertinent point was that if a receiver is contacted once he is no longer a potential blocker, you have a potential illegal use of the hands or holding call. But you don't immediately throw the flag. You need to read the play to determine if the contact is relevant. That is, was the play developing in a manner such that contact against this receiver might affect it. So for example, if the contact was against a WR on the right side of the formation and the play was a sweep to the left, leave the flag in your pocket. But if it was indeed relevant (e.g. QB is rolling out to the right looking toward your receiver) you then need to assess whether or not the contact was material enough to throw a flag. Did it put the receiver at a disadvantage? Or did it give the defender an unfair advantage? Only when you make these two determinations do you reach for the hankie. Obviously, if the contact was a personal foul, that call is immediate.

For those of you who get the National Federation Officials' Quarterly newsletter, you probably received it in the last day or two...or will soon receive it. There's a good article on this on page 4. I know the author very well. He recommends it highly.Way To Go
Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
For those of you who get the National Federation Officials' Quarterly newsletter, you probably received it in the last day or two...or will soon receive it. There's a good article on this on page 4. I know the author very well. He recommends it highly.Way To Go
Nothing like tooting your own horn!

Bob's article is a good read. I think he summed up what he said in his article very nicely here.

Old Fri Sep 03, 2004, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

The article was good, but there was some goofy lookin' picture in the lower right hand corner of the second page... It distracts from the rest of the article...

Here's a question for you about illegal use of the hands by the defense... Let's use your example of the QB looking at the receiver until he tucks and gets sacked... I've been taught that in this case, there would be no foul until the ball is thrown... So if the QB is sacked, there is no foul...

However, the article and your posts mention nothing about this concept... In fact, it implies the opposite... The case book makes no mention of this scenario either...

I understand the logic that says the illegal use of the hands can prevent the receiver from getting open, which would in turn (possibly) prevent the pass... In fact, it appeals to me...

The counter argument is that since there was no pass, there are no receivers... (Weak, I know...)

1) Has anyone else been instructed this way..?
2) Is this incorrect..?

Thanks...
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PiggSkin
The article was good, but there was some goofy lookin' picture in the lower right hand corner of the second page... It distracts from the rest of the article...

Here's a question for you about illegal use of the hands by the defense... Let's use your example of the QB looking at the receiver until he tucks and gets sacked... I've been taught that in this case, there would be no foul until the ball is thrown... So if the QB is sacked, there is no foul...

However, the article and your posts mention nothing about this concept... In fact, it implies the opposite... The case book makes no mention of this scenario either...

I understand the logic that says the illegal use of the hands can prevent the receiver from getting open, which would in turn (possibly) prevent the pass... In fact, it appeals to me...

The counter argument is that since there was no pass, there are no receivers... (Weak, I know...)

1) Has anyone else been instructed this way..?
2) Is this incorrect..?

Thanks...
REPLY: I'll mention the goofy picture to my daughter...she took it! The way I was taught and I believe all levels agree, you don't need a pass to call defensive holding or illegal use of the hands against a receiver. If those illegal actions caused the offense to be put at a disadvantage, you flag it. Unlike DPI where it is required that the ball be in the air. But remember, with DPI, we're generally talking about contact which would otherwise be legal.