The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

KO late entry

Ready for play whistle has blown and K is ready for kickoff. K only has 10 players and k11 runs onto the field. He starts at about R's 35 yard line, runs past the R front line and into position on the opposite side of the field. I'm thinking he can't be offsides until he's onsides first, maybe a substitution infraction, but they only have 10. Then possibly delay, but the 25 seconds hasn't expired. So I think I have nothing as long as k gets the kick away in time. I got an earful from the coach, but I still think there was no penalty and can find no rule to say otherwise. If I'm wrong, please cite rules or case book.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

You ain't.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Who counted the K players? K should be informed that they have only 10 on the field before the BJ (or whomever) heads for the sideline. Don't let the RFP blow if both teams don't have the proper number of players on the field.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to FootballRef05
No foul here, and I agree with everything Waltjp said. We should never let the RFP go on a kick if you don't have 11 on each side.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

It was a JV game and we had only 3 officials. That is not an excuse, just the facts. However, Is it the Referee's job to make sure they have the proper # of players on the field? How much additional time should I give them to find K11 and get him out there before the ready for play? Both teams have already had their 1 minute between score and kickoff. What about if R only has 10 out there and K is ready to kick, should I hold the whistle until R is ready?

I see many potential problems with waiting for K or R to get players on the field, especially since it will not get a flag playing with 10.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to FootballRef05
With 3 officials the U and the L should be on the free kick lines and should not go off until they have 11 players on the field. Once they have 11 they go to their sidelines and signal the R, with a had in the air that they are ready for the whistle. The R should be eaiting on the other officials to signal the ready. If you are doing this you can easily communicate that there are only 10 on the field and get another player out there quickly. When we talk anout preventative officiating this is lesson 101.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen
It was a JV game and we had only 3 officials. That is not an excuse, just the facts. However, Is it the Referee's job to make sure they have the proper # of players on the field? How much additional time should I give them to find K11 and get him out there before the ready for play? Both teams have already had their 1 minute between score and kickoff. What about if R only has 10 out there and K is ready to kick, should I hold the whistle until R is ready?

I see many potential problems with waiting for K or R to get players on the field, especially since it will not get a flag playing with 10.
REPLY: You don't wait for them to discover that they're short. Regardless of how many officials, whoever has responsibility for K, after counting the players and coming up with a number less than 11, should inform the kickers, "Count your players." Don't just stand there and wait for them to discover the error. Give them that hint.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

I don't even hand the kicker the ball if there are too many or too few.
I'll echo the rest, "Mr kicker, count your players" and let them deal with the issue. It takes all of 5 seconds.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballRef05
No foul here, and I agree with everything Waltjp said. We should never let the RFP go on a kick if you don't have 11 on each side.
This is among the most preventable fouls possible. NEVER start without 11 for both teams.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ready for play whistle has blown and K is ready for kickoff. K only has 10 players and k11 runs onto the field. He starts at about R's 35 yard line, runs past the R front line and into position on the opposite side of the field. I'm thinking he can't be offsides until he's onsides first, maybe a substitution infraction, but they only have 10. Then possibly delay, but the 25 seconds hasn't expired. So I think I have nothing as long as k gets the kick away in time. I got an earful from the coach, but I still think there was no penalty and can find no rule to say otherwise. If I'm wrong, please cite rules or case book.
I realize I'm a little late here but I'll echo--

No foul. Don't even get in that situation. This is preventive officiating.

Never give the ball to the kicker until they have 11. Likewise the HL should never signal ready if R had more/less than 11.

Enough trouble will find you during a game. Don't go looking for it.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

I'm the back judge and I don't move until I have eleven on the kicking team. I make sure that there's the right number of players before I give the ball to the kicking team. Be proactive rather than reactive and simplify officiating
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

See Bob M.'s response. He, as usual, hit the nail on the head.