The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

7-Man Mechanics question (from Eagles game)

I was at Lincoln Financial field last night and noticed a mechanics error by the deep officials. Eagles had the ball on the Packers 6 yard line. The field judge was at the goal line pylon and the Side Judge was at the endline pylon for an entire play.

I'm just applied as FJ with college and waiting for an interview but did have an opportunity to work a couple of scrimmages. I was told to go to the endline when the ball is at the 5 or in. If it's at the 6 then stay on the goal line.

Was I given good info for NCAA mechanics? And, just curious, is it the same as the NFL
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Some conferences use the ten-and-in, some use the five-and-in.
Some put the side officials on the end-line pylon in both 6 and 7 man and then again, some put them on the in-bounds pylon (6 man only).

So the NCAA info you got is most probably good.

As far as the NFL, don't know but I would have to say that one or the other was not in the prescribed position based on hear-say knowledge.

Did you apply to ECAC or to Milt?
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Depends on the mechanics as others have said, but it also depends on the play situation. Our mechanic in 6- and 7- is that the HL puts us into goal line. We use 10 and in for 6-man and 5 and in for 7-man, however for instance in 6-man, if it's 3rd and Goal from the B-7, the FJ/SJ are at the end line, but if it's 3rd and 2 at the B-7, then we might be in regular mechanics because there are two important lines, the GL and the LTG.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I guess the issue is that regardless of where it is that the deep officials give up the goal line, why was it that one of them (SJ) was at the endline and the other (FJ) was still at the goal line? I've put the question out to my NFL resource. He told me once before about their goal line techniques, but I can't remember exactly how they do it.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theisey
Did you apply to ECAC or to Milt?
Applied to the Philly Chapter (Milt).

It would think (if my dream job came to reality) it would been a perfect scenario given Milt works for Andy Reid. I interviewed with the Eagles last year for a software job that would have had me working directly with scouting and the coaching staffs.

They interviewed 6 of us (out of 250+ applicants) for an IT job. It's been over a year and it bugs me to this day I didn't land the darn thing! They thought having a masters degree along with lots of senior-level experience that I would be bored.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 07:33pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Thumbs up

I have seen this mechanic many times before. Always in the NFL, so I do not think it is a mistake.

From what I can tell, they do this when the ball is inside the 10 (?) and the ball is snapped from the hash - one deep guy is on the GL and the other on the corner.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Hasty assumption by yours truly. It never occurred to me this would be a mechanic and assumed it was an error. I had never saw the BJ and SJ on the endline while the FJ was on the goalline during a play in 16 seasons of Eagles games so I assumed it was an error. Not to criticize though. I really wanted to understand when you're supposed to go to endline and when to stay on the goalline. It'll be interesting to see if this is really a mechanic though.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Here's the scoop on this NFL mechanic...

"Your friend had the postions reversed: when the ball is snapped from B7 the SJ is deep sharing the backline w/BJ, and the FJ is on the GL. Once we hit the B5 the FJ, BJ, and SJ are on the backline and the HL/LJ are on the GL. "