The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 15, 2003, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

The manuals (both ASA and NFSH) take you inside when the ball goes outside, but never discuss what to do on a secondary play when the ball is inside.

Let's say you are in "C" (so you have runners in scoring position), the ball is hit to the outfield, you come inside to take a play at any base, or watch for leaving early, etc.

The throw goes home, so the play is no longer yours. But you can have a secondary play by the catcher or cut-off player. Now your are not in correct position to make a call - you do not have ball, base, runner, and defender in front of you.

And it gets crowded! If you get too far inside, and if the pitcher cuts the throw anywhere near the circle, suddenly you're trying to avoid runners and defenders and watching for that throw in a space that doesn't seem to be much bigger than your living room.

Going back outside does not seem like a good option. It would take too long (especially on a cut throw). You have no clue where they are going to make a play, and you could end up a long way from a tag play.

So how do you handle this? What have you been taught by clinicians?

WMB
Old Fri Aug 15, 2003, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
The manuals (both ASA and NFSH) take you inside when the ball goes outside, but never discuss what to do on a secondary play when the ball is inside.

Let's say you are in "C" (so you have runners in scoring position), the ball is hit to the outfield, you come inside to take a play at any base, or watch for leaving early, etc.

The throw goes home, so the play is no longer yours. But you can have a secondary play by the catcher or cut-off player. Now your are not in correct position to make a call - you do not have ball, base, runner, and defender in front of you.

And it gets crowded! If you get too far inside, and if the pitcher cuts the throw anywhere near the circle, suddenly you're trying to avoid runners and defenders and watching for that throw in a space that doesn't seem to be much bigger than your living room.

Going back outside does not seem like a good option. It would take too long (especially on a cut throw). You have no clue where they are going to make a play, and you could end up a long way from a tag play.

So how do you handle this? What have you been taught by clinicians?

WMB
I position myself in a holding area that is between any possible throwing lanes often using 1:30 or 10:30 as starting points and adjusting based on the position of the players, the direction from which the throw is coming and base for which I am responsible.

Old Fri Aug 15, 2003, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

This is one of those situations where I try to put my head on a swivel and be ready for anything.

The first thing is to pick up the ball coming back in from the outfield. Then I try to see if runners are attempting to advance and anticipate a possible play.

I also try to listen for my partner here also. If BU has runners coming home, I will take plays at third if I don't hear or see him coming up the line.

It's almost impossible to keep everything in front of you in this situation, so you just do the best you can.

Old Fri Aug 15, 2003, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I also get a spot where I'm not in line between the ball and a base. If coming straight in from C, that outs you between 2nd and 3rd, so if the ball is at home, you should be out of the way. Also, I try to get between the bases wher the play might occur. E.g., if runner goes home from 3rd with no other runners on, the next play will be 1st or 2nd so I get in front of B position if I can before the throw comes back. Also, I shift one way or another from B or C, depending on the runner(s) positions and the number of outs.