The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Smile

There is a new play which is a handoff to a linemen as a different form of a fumblerooski. The center snaps to the quarterback who hands it off to a pulling guard as the quarterback continues to fake a handoff in the backfield. During two different games officials ruled differently. One game it was allowed and no complaints from the other teams coach. Another game it was allowed for several plays and then I was told the guard would have to turn and face his own endzone prior to receiving the handoff. Again no complaints from the other team just some confused officials who were really not sure. I respected their decision and we did not run it anylonger. However, if anyone has the right answer or where I may find it in the rule book I would greatly appreciate it.

Confused Coach
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Not a new play, but here's what has to happen to make it legal.

Rule 7.3.2 No player may hand the ball forward except during a scrimmage down before a change of possession, provided both players are in or behind the neutral zone and it is to:

a. A lineman who has clearly faced his goal line by moving both feet in a half-turn and is at lease 1 yard behind his line when he receives the ball.

Meaning, the guard can't simply pull and take the handoff, but has to turn to face his own end zone before taking the handoff. It's nice if this is mentioned by the coach before the game when asked if they run anything unusual.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OFF Coord
There is a new play which is a handoff to a linemen as a different form of a fumblerooski. The center snaps to the quarterback who hands it off to a pulling guard as the quarterback continues to fake a handoff in the backfield. During two different games officials ruled differently. One game it was allowed and no complaints from the other teams coach. Another game it was allowed for several plays and then I was told the guard would have to turn and face his own endzone prior to receiving the handoff. Again no complaints from the other team just some confused officials who were really not sure. I respected their decision and we did not run it anylonger. However, if anyone has the right answer or where I may find it in the rule book I would greatly appreciate it.

Confused Coach
As Waltjp mentioned, any trick plays and even unusual formations need to be mentioned to the officiating crew before the game. Our crew, and I think most, will ask about unusual plays and formations. This is to YOUR benifit as there is less chance then of your trick play being messed up or called for a penalty. Sometimes it will save you a penalty cuz you think it is legal, but it is not.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 04:47am
Official Forum Member

Needs to be two yards back in NCAA, otherwise it's pretty much the same rule.

Question: How many legal end-around plays have you seen (where the ball is handed forward)?
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How many legal end-around plays have you seen (where the ball is handed forward)?
I've seen a few of them actually this year alone - none in federation ball mind you -- somebody in the pros must have been running it last year because it showed up in our community ball this year which is Canadian community but the rule is (close enough to be) the same on that issue.

One team was running it out of their wishbone formation - I thought it was a clever use but when the d-line got smart the guard didn't have enough time to get into the backfield for the handoff...
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 05:00am
Official Forum Member

Yes, but how many have actually technically been legal? The player getting the hand-off must face (including feet) his own goalline before he gets the ball. How many times have you seen him do that?
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I can only recall seeing this once and it was in a 7th/8th grade game. The coach told us about it before the game and they executed it perfectly.