The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Inside

The last couple of weeks I have been asked to do some baseball games. I am almost exclusively a Softball umpire so it is definitely a weird feeling for me. My question deals with mechanics, what is the advantage of being on the inside? It seemed to me that I was at a disadvantage inside. You have a better chance of getting hit by a batted ball before passing an infielder and you also have a better chance of being "in the way". I would have much more preferred the softball mechanic even when you have leadoffs.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat
The last couple of weeks I have been asked to do some baseball games. I am almost exclusively a Softball umpire so it is definitely a weird feeling for me. My question deals with mechanics, what is the advantage of being on the inside? It seemed to me that I was at a disadvantage inside. You have a better chance of getting hit by a batted ball before passing an infielder and you also have a better chance of being "in the way". I would have much more preferred the softball mechanic even when you have leadoffs.
Probably a better question for the baseball thread - but, I thought the inside mechanic was only for a 90' diamond. If it's a 60' diamond the mechanics are basically the same. When you are in on a 90' I don't think you will get hit. You are still farther away than we are in softball . . . JMHO.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

The "advantage" is being much closer to the play at first base. Which increases in importance on the 90 foot diamond. The disadvantage (those problems with working inside that render it problematic on the 60-foot diamond) tend to minimize on the big diamond - your chances of getting hit decrease dramatically. It does take some footwork practice to get it down, but that comes with time.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

I guess but I still feel more comfortable on the softball field. Last year I called some USSSA Youth SP games on a small diamond and the UIC wanted us to call from the inside and it really felt weird there.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

The inside position in a 90' game is advantageous for calling balks and having a good angle for the pick-off play - a key part of that game.

You are 75' - 80' from the batter, and you have a fielder (pitcher) between you and the batter. Batted balls are not really a problem. Your only danger of getting hit is when F6 does not go for two and instead throws to 1B - which is right through you! Then you learn to hit the grass real quick! I've called many outs at 1B from my knees!

You never belong inside on a 60' diamond, BB or SB. I doubt if any BB leagues playing on 60' diamonds have balk calls as normally the runners are not allowed to leave the base until after the pitch.

WMB
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 01:11pm
goldcoastump

If you were in a softball "C" position that would put you 110 ft from a pickoff play at first. It is not a good position to be in fast pitch as you could very well get bean in the head. Not so in baseball as there is plenty of room to get out of the way.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Dukat,
You can tell that U-Trip uic to stick that in his ear, I do not work inside during a softball game.
As for baseball,others have pretty much answered you. You got enough time to get out of the way of a batted ball and you are much closer to the pickoff and steal. What I find during the baseball games I do is that the game is so slow that I've got all day to get into a good calling position.